Fragrance Oil Retention

I use a hard wax (MP of 145 degrees) and seem to get pretty good retention with 1/2 oz. per pound. However, I tried 1 full ounce last night and my candles appeared to bleed as they set (in fact, I had used a dark red dye, so it was a grisly scene :grin2:).

I know there are waxes that can hold more scent, but I've been using the same wax for a while now and know what to expect from it (i.e. setting time, mold release, surface mottling, etc.). Also, I suspect the superior waxes will cost substantially more. I'm not the type who can order a whole crate at a time, so I couldn't take advantage of any bulk discounts. Right now I spend a tad under $1 per pound (which may be quite expensive in comparsion....I just haven't done a lot of research on waxes recently).

So, any good votive waxes that will hold LOTS of scent (i.e. more than 1/2 oz. per pound without bleeding to death).

Thanks!

Not really, at least not straight paraffin. With some you can push it to 5 or maybe even 6%, but those aren't superior waxes. They're just some of the higher melt point ones, which can carry a higher oil load on the average. The real point is that paraffin isn't used to make good candles by itself. For a good burn and superior scent retention you need to use additives to improve the performance of the wax. Alternatively you can buy a pre-blended wax that will hold 6-8%. If you want to make mottled candles, use straight paraffin and add stearic to improve the scent retention and burn qualities.

All I know is that I was advised to add 1tbsp pp of stearic to my wax to stop the FO from bleeding out, and it works! :grin2:
By the way, when I said "not really" I wasn't meaning to contradict your post. In fact we were typing at the same time so I hadn't seen it yet.

What you're doing is a perfect example of what I meant. Stearic is the basic candle wax additive. It pretty much does everything. Sometime when you're making a rustic or anything other than a mottled candle, try doubling the amount of stearic and see what happens.

By the way, will stearic cause a loss of mottling? I know I can add oil to increase the mottling, but would I need to adjust the amount when adding stearic as well?

Come to think of it, I think I've used stearic in the past....like a few years ago. It is like a white grainy sort of substance, right? Something you wouldn't want to set next to the sugar container for fear your child or spouse would douse their corn flakes with stearic by accident. Honestly, I don't remember why I got it back then. Maybe to harden the wax and increase the life of the candle. Does it do this as well?

By the way, when I said "not really" I wasn't meaning to contradict your post. In fact we were typing at the same time so I hadn't seen it yet.

What you're doing is a perfect example of what I meant. Stearic is the basic candle wax additive. It pretty much does everything. Sometime when you're making a rustic or anything other than a mottled candle, try doubling the amount of stearic and see what happens.

3061090i.gif..............

By the way, will stearic cause a loss of mottling? I know I can add oil to increase the mottling, but would I need to adjust the amount when adding stearic as well?

Come to think of it, I think I've used stearic in the past....like a few years ago. It is like a white grainy sort of substance, right? Something you wouldn't want to set next to the sugar container for fear your child or spouse would douse their corn flakes with stearic by accident. Honestly, I don't remember why I got it back then. Maybe to harden the wax and increase the life of the candle. Does it do this as well?

Yup, that's stearic. I use 3 tablespoons pp of wax and it doesn't affect the mottle. I believe if you add to much it will lessen it though. Top will know the numbers ;) Yes, it does also increase hardness a bit I'm told. For me, it doesn't harden it enough to keep a pillar from buldging though. Not sure if this helps or not...

Stearic will increase the FO retention but decrease the mottling unless you add more FO. It's a balancing act. You'll need to experiment to get your formula down according to how your wax behaves and the aesthetic you're looking for.

By the way, adding just a smidgeon of stearic (like 1 or 2%) will actually stimulate mottling. That will accomplish nothing except make your candle bleed more, so you have to get past that amount so the normal effects start to kick in.

Finally, there are 2 kinds of stearic available these days. The regular stuff is derived from animules, but there's also a vegetable-derived version. It's effectively the same thing and has less of the stearic odor.

At least my kitchen had a nice cinnamon scent :grin2:

By the way, take a look at the candle on the far right. See how it is sitting askew? There is a bump that formed beneath the wick base. In fact, half of them had similar bumps, though not quite to this extent.

I just feel bad for these candles...looks like they've had a rough life already :)