Mottling Oil

Good afternoon,

Do you suppose vegetable oil would have the same effect as mottling oil?

I find myself with a few containers filled with vegetable oil, and since I'm not using them for any kind of cooking I wondered if it could be used in candles. The golden hue would affect the coloring of lighter candles, but I was just curious.

Thank you!

I may just test it out on a single votive. I guess I'm just looking for ways to decrease my cost per candle, since I don't think I'll pay $3.50 for 8 oz. of snowflake oil again. I love the mottling effect, though.

Here are a few votives I made not long ago (using official snowflake oil, NOT vegetable oil :grin2:)

3candles.jpg

Sorry...I couldn't resize this image to make it smaller.

I'll have to try mineral oil. Thank you.

Those votives were the most "photogenic" of the bunch. :) Thanks for the comments. I even tried some tri-color votives. The photo below is from the first batch, and I must admit the layers congealed better on the front one than the other two. There were lots of air bubbles between pours and you can see a white line encompassing the candle on the right (I hid this blemish in the shadows :tongue2:). Also, the tops should be a tad darker in my opinion.

tricolor.jpg

At this point I only make votives, so I figured I'd try to be as creative as possible with them. The candles above are scented with blueberry cobbler oil fragrance.....and should be kept away from people with empty stomachs. They smell delicious. :grin2:

(In the first photo with the three different votives the scents are moonlight lace, muscadine and sea breeze, all from Lone Star Candle Supply)

Hi there...

Well, I honestly don't have much to compare them to, since I haven't really branched out and tried other scents. I can tell you that one of those blueberry votives is sitting UNLIT in an office next door and the aroma has filled the entire room. Not all of the scents are this strong, but I use just 1/2 oz. per pound of wax.

I'm not unhappy with the scent throw from the lit candles, but I know they could be stronger. I don't know if its a question of quantity or quality...or the type of wax. Other suggestions for strong oils are appreciated, however.

I think FO's are very much a personal issue. Everyone has their favorites..... and it depends a lot on what wax you're using, wick size, etc. I'm sure others will chime in and give you their take on the subject.

Personally I like Peak's, Candlescience, Nature's Garden and Just Scents for FO's. I have bought a few from BCN and been happy, but some were disappointing. I guess it's like everything with candlemaking, test it out and see if it works for you.

I guess you haven't read Jokerjens formula. She is the QUEEN of making scented mottled candles without much oil. I don't know how she does it....I think she is playing a joke on us but she swears it just works for her....LOL The little green men must bring her some speical wax in the middle of the night.:shocked2: Donita

I may just test it out on a single votive. I guess I'm just looking for ways to decrease my cost per candle, since I don't think I'll pay $3.50 for 8 oz. of snowflake oil again. I love the mottling effect, though.

Hi Asher, Here is an old thread that talks about substitutes for 'snowflake oil'.

HTH.