talk about fire hazard!!!!

Jokerjen

About 15 years ago I tried to make some paraffin candles after getting a kit for Christmas. There is still some wax stuck to the ceiling tiles in my kitchen. Thank God I was standing at the kitchen sink when it happened or I would have been seriously injured. The double boiler was like a space shuttle blasting off.

This is what really gives gel candles a bad rap, I used to do and sell a ton of gel candles but I took the time to learn everthing I could about gel before making and selling, then I ran across a girl a a flea market selling "lemon scented" gel candles so I asked several questions because it was so strong I wanted to know where she got that fragrance from, I about hit the floor when she said it was "lemon pine soil cleaner" I did buy one to burn (and to prove a point) and as soon as I lit it the entire candle was on fire, I tto it back to her and to the flea-market manager to show them what they were really selling.

Angie

they are very pretty but should have been made WITHOUT wicks!!!! Wow....treat the apple slices from turning brown....but what about the poor people who lite them....they wont turn brown....they will be black!!

• 2 years later...

That is an OLD gel making story, or the reposting of it. When there were gel candle boards back 6-7 years ago, this story was a big deal, and the two people you see them thanking in the () at the end were members of one board I belonged to that couldn't stand it and actually contacted them to tell them how unsafe those candles were. Unfortunately, I still see candles like these for sale on the internet, and even in one grocery store here in town.:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

:cheesy2: I sooo remember that ! Remember people making their own gel and putting all kinds of stuff in them ... made us all shudder and want to reach for a fire extinguisher ...

Was in a dollar store and they had gel candles with stuff in them, my friend wanted to buy some and I told her NOOOOO ... I will make you some SAFE ones.

At least we don't see the exploding gel stories like we used to :cheesy2: and we've all come a long way since then ...

Mima