GB 464 wick help 4 inch apothecary

hi,

this is my first time writing. i'm new to soy and to candles overall. i am using max fragrance load 2 oz to a pound. i've been testing with GB 464 and started with LX wicks. i've double wicked the 4 inch jar with LX14 and also tried LX16. with some FOs i have had success, but with others the two 14s leave too much on the sides and the melt pool doesn't reach the edge in some cases, or takes too long. The LX16s seem bit too hot, too fast a melt pool and just too hot glass. i've just gotten some ECO wicks but i haven't seen much on here about the ECOs with 464.

i know different oils are different, i'm just looking for some starting points for the ECO wicks if anyone can help? Candle Science recommends them with the GB 464, but i am using twice as much FO as they use in their testing. thanks in advance for any help/starting points you can give me!! :smiley2:

eileen

Why all that FO?? That is money down the drain. If it wont throw at 1.5oz pp then 2.0oz pp aint gonna make a difference. I always start testing a 1.2oz pp and have always been pleased with that. Sometimes I have to back DOWN to 1.0oz pp.

Not just any FO will throw in soy wax. It is a very picky wax sometimes.

I use CD wicks in my 464.

tootie

thanx for the answers. i have been double wicking with LX 14s and 16s and even those seem to burn fast sometimes. if i used a bigger wick than that, i don't think things would go well. ;) i guess the faster burn is related to the extra FO i have been using? i gather you all think i am a bit silly to use that much! :D

i really do have a reason......... i bought about $275 worth of soy candles for Christmas presents last year and was terribly disappointed in them. i thought there must be a better way, and since i've done lots of arts and crafts, i thought i'd give it a try! when i saw that 464 held the most fragrance oil, i figured that was the one i'd try first. can i still get a really good throw with less? i have been primarily using Candle Science fragrances that are rated 3 soy leaves for use in soy. i do have a few from Candle Soylutions which also seem excellent. in fact the first candle i made i mixed the C. Soylution lime with the C. Science vanilla trying to match Yankee Candles vanilla lime. it's still my favorite (mine, not theirs!)

once again, thank you all for your help and for taking the time to share your know-how with me.

eileen

No. You're not silly.

You are learning, as we all do. Some valuble information can be discovered through trial and error. Read as much as you can on the boards about your wax and wick choices and it will save you much time and money.:highfive:

I did the same thing(added 2 oz of FO thinking I was going to get "knock your socks off scent") but thanks to this forum, I dropped to 1oz per lb and still great throw and less wicking trouble.:wink2: Plus that saves alot more money for something else... like more candle supplies...LOL

I did the same thing(added 2 oz of FO thinking I was going to get "knock your socks off scent") but thanks to this forum, I dropped to 1oz per lb and still great throw and less wicking trouble.:wink2: Plus that saves alot more money for something else... like more candle supplies...LOL

it makes sense to cut back, and i guess i will, but if i drop back to 1 1/2 or even 1 ounce, i'll have to start testing all over. i know it's all part of candles, but i have a full time job and i am struggling a bit with time management. :) can you give me an idea of how much you'd back down? 1 wick size for 1 1/2 ounces and 2 sizes for 1 ounce? or is that too much of a drop? i know there will be exceptions, but as a general rule?

thanks again!

ei

I read in this forum, someone(and I can't remember who) said that if the FO didn't throw at 6%(1oz per lb) that they ditched the scent. So I adopted that rule too...

As far as the wicking at 6%, Cadlescience's wicking guide has been great for starting points. http://candlescience.com/learning/wick-guide.php

I started trying to wick the 8oz jelly jar. Everyone says that is the easiest. But for the 8oz jj and 6% FO I use a ECO 4 sometimes having to wick up to a 6.

I know it's time consuming. I am a "housewife" "stay at home mom" ,I guess you could say, so I test, test, test all the time..

HTH!!!

Emily

I like that 6% rule but I will go to 8% before I give up. I use 464 in apoths and use 2 44C or 51C depending on the oil with great results. The ECOs were what I used in a previous blend but for some reason were just not working for me in the 464.

I think I'll pour a few with the LX, I like LX wicks and never even tried them in the apoths. Thanks for that tip. :grin2:

The "burn rate" or how fast a candle burns has to do with the wick. Some wicks consume wax faster than others.

For just starting out I would go get some simple jelly jars and do those till you know more about how to make the candles. The jj is easy to wick and will give you alot LESS headaches.

Also if you color your candles that can affect the way the candle burns with different wicks.

tootie

• 3 weeks later...

For a 4 inch apoth jar, I don't use wicks as big as everyone else does. I tried 2 ECO 10's and found them too large and the burn too hot. I use 2 ECO 6's or ECO 4's depending on the FO and the burn is not too hot, decent melt pool that is not too deep and the throw is great.

For a 4 inch apoth jar, I don't use wicks as big as everyone else does. I tried 2 ECO 10's and found them too large and the burn too hot. I use 2 ECO 6's or ECO 4's depending on the FO and the burn is not too hot, decent melt pool that is not too deep and the throw is great.

hi meridith,

funny that you wrote that. i was sitting here thinking about the nice burn (cleaned the glass) and wonderful throw i got with the two eco 10's, but too fast and the glass was too hot to suit me.

then i signed on to the forum and saw your comments! are you a big eco wick fan? i am trying to switch to them from lx wicks, but some of the original tests i did with the lx were actually really good. of course now i am wondering if they would be even better with the ecos! i wish they came in bigger sizes. i do a roly poly about 3 " at widest part) that i use a csn 26 in, that does a great job with throw and cleaning the glass also.

eileen

hi meridith,

funny that you wrote that. i was sitting here thinking about the nice burn (cleaned the glass) and wonderful throw i got with the two eco 10's, but too fast and the glass was too hot to suit me.

then i signed on to the forum and saw your comments! are you a big eco wick fan? i am trying to switch to them from lx wicks, but some of the original tests i did with the lx were actually really good. of course now i am wondering if they would be even better with the ecos! i wish they came in bigger sizes. i do a roly poly about 3 " at widest part) that i use a csn 26 in, that does a great job with throw and cleaning the glass also.

eileen

I wouldn't say that I am ECO fan but they are what I found worked in my jars after testing CD's, cottons, and HTPs of varying sizes. I was getting frustrated because one size wick was too large, the next size down was too small. I got a great throw with the 10's but like I said, the jar was way too hot, the melt pool deeper than it needed it be, and the candle burned down too fast. I also at times got lots of soot with the 10's. But the 4 and 6's are perfect for most of my FOs with the occasional one I have to bump up to using 2 8's.

If you've had good luck with LX's, I'd stick with them. It is funny how different our experiences and likes can be.