Scared myself silly!

I scared myself silly this afternoon. I lit a candle in my daughters room so I could turn off the fan, shut the door and have a nice test area. This way the cat and the kids would not be around the candle. I lit it at 10:30 and planned to burn it for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. DH comes home and we decide to go get lunch. So off we go. Come 3:15 we are on the way back home and planned to stop to get me a couple more school supplies when I realized I had NOT blown it out. I am not sure what made me think of the candle but I did and my heart sank into my stomach. I just prayed that it either drowned out, like my others had been doing or that it was still burning perfectly fine and that my house was not up in smoke. We we about 15 mins from the house. Luckily when I got back everything was okay, no firemen in the drive. It was still burning but it was okay. Phew!! I have learned my lesson to double check, that will be on my list just like the diaper bag.

Please someone say they have done the same thing and make me feel better! :o

Yes I have, that is why I only burn in the kitchen now, because in other rooms I would forget.

I went to bed and forgot to blow out my candle in the other room, I woke up at 3am to a light, a glow, I went o investigate, it was the candle burning, scared me !!

Karen M

I know the feeling! Glad you were safe!

My daughter left one of my 16 oz jars burning, in her store, from Friday until she remembered on Sunday afternoon!! She was having dinner at our house and had to drive 45 minutes to check and see if her store was burned down.

Good throw, clean burn! LOL!

Now she uses a lamp burner.

I am so afraid of leaving one on. I decided to get one of those pottery vase things. I can't think of the name. But it is about a foot tall , about as round as 2 of the 26oz jars. If something happens to the candle, it protects it. The only thing that could happen is a spark could fly out. I feel much safer with the candle in there. Oh, here is one. One of my customers blew out her candle, and it didn't go out completely. The wick was still red. The fire was out, but it was still smoking. She said she left it like that all night and that room was smokey big time in the morning. There was ash in the air. I had this happen with my fireplace once. But I never thought about a candle. So be sure it is out completely. :smiley2:

I've done it more than once as well! My dh, who is super paranoid, leaves them burning all the time when he leaves so I have to remember to put them out before I leave. I also switched to just my kitchen area to test. It's big and open, but I figure if I can smell it in one of the bedrooms from there, it's a great throw!

You didn't really think you were alone on this...did you? :highfive:

I have done that. Now I set up large aluminum foil pans and set my test burn candle in them just in case.

Are you talking about the type you use a lot around the holidays? The disposable ones? Don't want to sound foolish but how would this help prevent a fire? Does it keep it from spreading or something?

Yep, I have done it,too. More than once.By the way, how was the scent throw?

The scent throw was pretty good, in that room. I could barely smell it before opening the door. Is that good or bad? Should I have been able to smell it more throughout the house since it was burning that long?

I've done it more than once as well! My dh, who is super paranoid, leaves them burning all the time when he leaves so I have to remember to put them out before I leave. I also switched to just my kitchen area to test. It's big and open, but I figure if I can smell it in one of the bedrooms from there, it's a great throw!

You didn't really think you were alone on this...did you? :highfive:

My DH just looked at me like I was crazy, did not get mad though. He was calmer than I on the drive home, I kept looking for smoke. I was hoping I was not alone, but ya never know!

Thanks guys for making me feel less embarrassed! I hope to never do that again!!

I did that Thanksgiving day last year -- forgot to blow it out and didn't remember until we were on the road. I was stressed the entire time until we got home.

Luckily everything was fine -- the glass was hot but not dangerously so.

The aluminum pans would kinda help isolate the candles, I would think. Theoretically, as long as nothing can fall in the flame OR if the container cracks or pillar burns all the way down, the wax/flame/mess would be contained. My main fear would be my container cracking (failing), and the flame catching something nearby.