FO Weights

This may be a stupid question but Im still learning so I thought I would ask. From what I gather depending on the FO you have to wick up or down. Is there a way to know if a FO is a heavy FO before pouring and testing? For example I poured Pink Sugar in C3 used an 8 oz square mason and wicked it with a CDN 10. It is doing well I think, nice hot throw and is burning even and clean. Now I want to pour cream brulee. Should I stick with the CDN 10 on this one? Hope I am making sense...lol

The Creme Brulee I use, I have to wick up on..

Certain FO's like Vanilla, Spicy Potpourri , Lavender, and the "thicker" oils will need to be wicked up..

My suggestion is, start with the 10 since that is working for your

jar/wax/fo combo and go from there..

If it does not burn right, wick up or down as needed.

Even when you think you can call the wick size from eyeballing the oil, some oils surprise you and are wicker uppers or downers..

You just never know...:wink2:

It's actually the ingredients that make up an FO which makes it a 'heavier' oil, not necessarily the physical thickness. I have a buttercreme that has the consistency of molassas, but wicks with no problems. My patchouli and a couple ambers are physically thinner oils, but take a much larger wicks. You honestly can't tell by the look of the FO. Just test any new oils to your normal wick for the specific jars....then go up or down from there. :cool2:

It's actually the ingredients that make up an FO which makes it a 'heavier' oil, not necessarily the physical thickness. I have a buttercreme that has the consistency of molassas, but wicks with no problems. My patchouli and a couple ambers are physically thinner oils, but take a much larger wicks. You honestly can't tell by the look of the FO. Just test any new oils to your normal wick for the specific jars....then go up or down from there. :cool2:

That is what I was trying to say with my comment below.. But you expained it much better!!!:highfive:

"Even when you think you can call the wick size from eyeballing the oil, some oils surprise you and are wicker uppers or downers..

You just never know...:wink2:"

That is what I was trying to say with my comment below..

But you explained it much better than me!!!:highfive:

"Even when you think you can call the wick size from eyeballing the oil, some oils surprise you and are wicker uppers or downers..

You just never know...:wink2:"

I use a one-ounce measuring glass to weigh my oils. If an oil is "heavy" it usually falls short of the one-ounce line...but of course there are exceptions. One thing I learned was that sometimes I don't need to "wick up", I need to "wax up". For instance, Peak's Amish Harvest-it burns so readily that I get a full melt pool with 4630 but only a tiny flame because the oil is so thick. I tested this oil in J50, which has a higher melt point, and got a much better burn. Go figure.

Ditto! Was going to add I had a thick strawberry, but wicked fine and patch ... ha ha. That one definitely takes a lot of testing so do a few ambers.

I'm not saying what I do is right but for bakery scents especially...creme brulee included, I would wick up 1 size to test. The other frustrating thing about testing is when you test...hot summer months or cooler weather seems to make a difference too in my testing. So even if a smaller wick does good in the summer for a bakery fo it may not during cold winter (house temps change) so depending on time of year I factor in which means holiday scents I lean more towards wicking up in general.

I use a one-ounce measuring glass to weigh my oils. If an oil is "heavy" it usually falls short of the one-ounce line...but of course there are exceptions. One thing I learned was that sometimes I don't need to "wick up", I need to "wax up". For instance, Peak's Amish Harvest-it burns so readily that I get a full melt pool with 4630 but only a tiny flame because the oil is so thick. I tested this oil in J50, which has a higher melt point, and got a much better burn. Go figure.

Yes, I find that too in certain scents. Its weird how you can have a perfect melt pool but a tiny little flame.