Google Ratings

For the keyword wickless candles i used to be bottom or the first page or top of the second. Now i gave up looking after the 30th page....WTH. The only think i changed is the home page every month but my tags and stuff are the same. What gives? Does being with HCM have anything to do with it? (just asking, please don't turn my thread into another HCM bashing session. ;) lol)

Just a thought :undecided I have never had a lot of luck just using that, probably didn't/don't know what I was doing:grin2: I mainly rely on my PPC with Yahoo. It can get costly but seems to work the best for me. A lot of people just like to look and click on links, guess they really don't understand it cost.

Well, he's wrong. The reason it does affect is because it's not stored in a "default" location. Google starts with a site's indexing off the initial front page, not subpages in general. If you have nothing on the front page (which sounds like you don't, he just pointed the domain at the sub directory), then when it initially crawls your site, it finds nothing. It does crawl subpages of course, but not as often (almost daily usually) as an index or home page.

This site starts the information for you:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2193260_increase-google-page-rank.html

" If you have ever wondered how they can return those results so quickly, the answer is very simply the Google algorithm. It is this algorithm in which Google uses to index every webpage on the Internet. This indexing then ranks the pages based on importance on a scale of 1 to 10, with one being the lowest and ten of course being the highest. This importance is tracked by the number of of other web pages that link back to it."

While I've mentioned link backs as the most important key to Google - there is something that must be said.

Your links are going to .com - this means Google is indexing the basic page ONLY. Again, there isn't anything there.

Um, let's see - I'll try to explain it a bit easier to for those who have troubles with search engines.

(Links not valid.)User X finds a link for www.candlesite xyz.com He clicks on it. The link takes him to www.candlesitexyz.com/ products. The link he clicked on is what Google wants to index and rank of importance. Since this person's www. com page doesn't even exist - Google can't even find it.

HTH!

You site can be installed in your public.html folder. Then, when someone types your webpage in they would never see the "redirecting you to our new site." Frank stating that it didn't matter was Frank saying he didn't feel like changing and moving everything. Mine was installed in the public.html folder so when you visit my site, it doesn't redirect you.

If you are adamant about it being changed, contact him and let him know. He can do it but its just going to make him have to work...

having your store in a subfolder definatly affects your rankings. Having your store in a subdomain does not. The reason is a subfolder meaning http://www.yourcompany/store/ is ranked lower and http://store.yourcompany.com/ is ranked as an added domain to your domain and is the same as having in a default folder. You can also put oscommerce in your default folder and have an index.html file if you want to go to a homepage instead of your store. index.html will load before index.php on 99% of servers. If the other person is not able to help you pm me I havent used oscommerce in a while but it isnt that hard to change he config file.

having your store in a subfolder definatly affects your rankings. Having your store in a subdomain does not. The reason is a subfolder meaning http://www.yourcompany/store/ is ranked lower and http://store.yourcompany.com/ is ranked as an added domain to your domain and is the same as having in a default folder.

Allicia, thanks so much for your explanation... it makes sense to me now!! :yay: Gawd, I LOVE it when the light bulb comes on...finally!! :laugh2:

More than most, I understand where you're coming from. I lost what some would consider a fair amount of money with hcm from believing and trusting verbal agreements. Once I lost trust, I had to make the decision to cut any further losses and just chalk it up to a learning experience in business. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I'm new to having a website, but I'm certainly not new to the business world and fly-by-night "business" people. I don't think that I'm the only person who signed with HCM after being assured that I would have top-notch customer support and guidance as a new website owner.

More than most, I understand where you're coming from. I lost what some would consider a fair amount of money with hcm from believing and trusting verbal agreements. Once I lost trust, I had to make the decision to cut any further losses and just chalk it up to a learning experience in business. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I'm new to having a website, but I'm certainly not new to the business world and fly-by-night "business" people. I don't think that I'm the only person who signed with HCM after being assured that I would have top-notch customer support and guidance as a new website owner.

Good attitude Luci! Anyone who STILL is with HCM should jump ship and cut their loses. You've been warned and made aware of, over and over. At this point, it's your own fault if you're sticking with a untrustworthy business.

Good attitude Luci! Anyone who STILL is with HCM should jump ship and cut their loses. You've been warned and made aware of, over and over. At this point, it's your own fault if you're sticking with a untrustworthy business.

What I am trying to say is, I figured out a way to save my website and move it to another server. I am trying to see if I could do this for all HCM customers that want out. If they will just slow down.....:D....at leat at this point that will still have something.....

Knowbody wants to give up their website that they worked so hard on. Maybe its good that they have and are waiting. You never know, someone could come up with a way to save their website.....

I wouldn't wait around much longer. They'll crash your site for you, lol. That's the way these unprofessional people have been since they got the bright idea to host websites. Without warning, bam, you wake up one morning, click on your sites (I had two; one I paid for, the other was a beta test), and you'll see a nice little "Adios, MF" (spelled out) on your paid for site and your beta test website that you worked so hard on will be poof! History!

Lots of people here saw it happen with their very own eyes, but still, HCM was allowed to advertise, racking up hapless victims. I was not allowed to say much about what happened to me when I was their customer. My original post about it in the Business Section was deleted. Pretty much everything I said trying to warn people was deleted. I put part of the blame on this forum for not allowing me to warn people about doing business with these people. Everybody knew exactly what happened, but I was made out to be the bad guy.

Sorry about everything is happening. Do searches before you hand over your hard earned money. Ask questions. Read about the history. Heed the warnings.