Photoshop3

Jokerjen

Ok peeps, I have heard this is a really good program to use to edit pics and add special effects but I can't even figure out how to use it!!!!:confused: Is there some other program that is easier?Or does anyone have any tips for me?

I would like aprogram that when I figure oout how to do it, I can do some animated stuff to...like lighting candles, etc....

Are you talking about Photoshop CS3?

Photoshop is an amazing program but you really have to devote some time to learning it. It's doable, I promise. You will be glad you did, too...there is just so much you can do with it. I use it for SO much. In addition to tinkering with photos, I use it to create graphics, business cards, signs, labels, brochures, postcards, coupons...pretty much anything I do in print for my business and family. Even though I have been using it for quite a while, I really feel like I have only scratched the surface. I am ALWAYS learning!

Also, like someone said, I am forever googling "photoshop tutorial" and then what I need help with. There is tons of free info out there and even some on-line pace yourself classes. There are also a lot of free plug-ins on the web. Free brush sets, filters, image effects, patterns, textures, etc.

Also, use the Adobe site. They have a huge knowledge base, forum and list of "live events." I have been to several of their "free" presentations (usually done around the time they release a new version). There was also a great event I went to that I paid $90 for. This was a couple of years ago but I think it was called their "Photoshop WOW"seminar. SO worth the money! I learned so much, met some amazing designers and walked away with a textbook I STILL refer to.

I am convinced with a good photo editor, anyone can be a great photographer. :laugh2: In fact, a friend was over the other day and she was looking at some of my pictures and said that I was such a good photographer and she asked if I could give her some lessons. I had to laugh...I told her I really was not, but I know how to make it look like I am with Photoshop. I have taken some really crappy pictures and turned them into something neat.

From this plain ole pic of our kids fishing:

DSC01916.jpg

To this. And yes, I know it is "just" black and white but when I just greyscaled it, it was muddy. I sharpened it up and tinkered with the shadows and highlights to give it a sharper look.

DSC01916_2.jpg

and then playing with colors to give it a neat effect

DSC01916_3.jpg

Okay...in case you cannot tell, I like Photoshop. Stick with it...you will be so glad you did!

Photoshop also makes a program called Photoshop Elements which is a simpler version of Photoshop. I cannot comment much on it because I have never used it.

Another great site is www.picnik.com

I have played around on it a bit and it really does a lot of neat things to your pictures that you can do in Photoshop but it has a much friendlier user interface. My kids even use it, so it is easy to master. You can frame you pics, crop, edit, change color, saturation, etc. It even offers photo effects that funky and fun that I have spent hours learning how to do in photoshop. It even offers a blemish tool that is kind of a watered down version of the healing brush in photoshop. Got a zit? Take it out! It also has a text tool where you can add text to your photos. It is free and then there is also a premium version which of course, costs, but allows you to do more.

OR you can try the open source image editor called The Gimp...

http://www.gimp.org/

I found the interface to be a lot different from other image editing programs, but it will do pretty much anything that Photoshop, PSP, Corel PhotoPaint, etc. will do...

User groups, etc. exist for ALL major photo manipulation programs... at some you can download different effects, tubes, tutorials on doing certain techniques, etc. Well worth the study. Just Google to find 'em. :)

This may sound stupid, but you can buy a digital scrapbook program at Hobby Lobby or Michael's called Digital Scrapbook Memories. It works w/ Photoshop & gives you very detailed step-by-step instruction for utilizing all the tricks of PS. The discs sell for around $18., but not so bad w/ the 40% off coupons. I find PS to not be a user-friendly program, but simply amazing once you get the hang of it. People who have almost no computer skills say the Digital Scrapbook program has given them the instruction to make it easy. I'm not a scrapbooker, but getting some of these for all the other stuff I do.

Susan.

photoshop has tons of video tutorials, books and also tutorial sites. Google photoshop tutorials. Photoshop is second to none for most graphic artists, although it is a bit tricky to master you can do anything with it once you learn how. For simple labels or borders on pics try mgi photosuite if its still around.

Photoshop IS the industry standard.

I've been using Photoshop since version 3 and wouldn't use anything else.

As VerticallyEnhanced pointed out, there is Photoshop Elements. This is a cut-down version of Photoshop.

I can't answer what exactly has been taken out as I don't know but some of the image modes aren't there, the "serious" ways of manipulating color have been removed as have some of the more advanced features.

Basically, the chances of needing to use anything that has been removed is extremely slim so Elements is definitely worth looking at.

As for learning how to use it, yes, it is a very complex application and time is needed to get to know it properly as is with anything. Just learn what you need to know and don't go reading through a book from cover to cover following various tutorials. I made this mistake when learning Flash CS3 and I got to the middle and thought "what was all that about?"

Time is something a lot of us simply don't have. For those of us who are html (et al) challenged, the time wasted simply isn't worth it. There are MUCH easier free programs out there that do the same things with much less effort. These programs may not offer as MUCH, but most of us don't need all the twists.

You see we spend our time crafting, not becoming webmasters and graphic artistes!

For those who want to spend the time, more power to ya! I wouldn't touch Photoshop with a 10' pole!

Yup, there has to be a balance somewhere. Some people enjoy tinkering with said programs, others not. To each their own.

I won't really repeat too much of what's already been said, but if you're willing to take a little time to learn some techniques, that time will be rewarded in the end. Lots of tutorials out there for free and even some really great books that you can get that show you some basics and then some.

Not to mention some free online programs like cellsea, picnik, photoflexor, splashup, the list goes on. You can even create animations. Google image editors and you will find a host of them. Some you can even work with layers easily. I have Corel paint shop pro photo installed and I can tell you, some of these programs work equally as well especially for the graphic software challenged like me. Photo shop is much harder for the ordinary person to learn. It would take literally weeks and weeks. It would be easier to take a course to learn it.

I am the first to admit that I am challenged when it comes to graphic programs and such...I am trying to learn...but it is happening at a very slow pace!

I wish I knew! i want to redo my labels and such but can't figure half this crap out! Grrrr....

I have alot of ideas..just don't know how to produce them!

Isn't that the worst...having all the ideas, and no way to execute them? It will come in time. I had my creative brainstorm earlier this year (January/February) and have taken time to perfect it...it will be unleashed in October.

Isn't that the worst...having all the ideas, and no way to execute them? It will come in time. I had my creative brainstorm earlier this year (January/February) and have taken time to perfect it...it will be unleashed in October.

Yes it is!!! I have products I can be proud of but I am not satisified with my labels. I want to be able to do them myself as it is more cost effective....and seeing as small batches are poured I can't order sheets of labels of each scent.....

I have tried a few different things....but none are looking very good!lol

Even the alignment is off...Grrr....I HAVE to get this straightened out...I don't want my lables sucking for the fair I am doing next month!

I have even seen a few very simple clear lables that I like Just logo , website and scent..But I would also want my phone number and handcrafted candles or all natrual soy candles on it....I tried tonight...but they looked terrible! I need more black ink..so they weren't as dark...but even then something just wasn't right!!!

Right now I can't afford to hire some expensive designer, so I am stuck trying to figure this out...but it is starting to piss me off!lol

Well damn, I hope you put it in the gallery. Now you got me antsy.;)

I have even seen a few very simple clear lables that I like Just logo , website and scent..But I would also want my phone number and handcrafted candles or all natrual soy candles on it.

Jokerjen my labels are like the clear you described. I put all the other info on the caution labels I get made from labelsbythesheet.com. I really like the clean simple look in a label.

I make my labels using the Avery Free Design software download.