How big is your test area?

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to see how big everyone else's test burn areas were. I am afraid that mine might be too big - probably around 500-550 square feet with 14 foot vaulted ceilings. Some candles burn pretty strong in this area but others not as much. If I move the test candle to an area that is around 240 square feet with 9 foot ceilings, the scent is much, much stronger.

Thanks!

Allison

ok i am REALLY REALLY BAD at sq ft. so i'll just do in feet lmao

my basement is my test area

its approx. 30 foot long and 25 ft wide with only 6foot ceilings .. i dont fit in my own basement .. always duckin for cover or i'll hit a beams or light bulb with my head lmao

Previously I tested small candle/small room (8'x10'). I feel that maybe this caused me to overate some oils and under value others. I am now testing same small candle (one ounce tin) in a large 15'x20' room. However, I am now waiting the full two hours for full melt pool before I judge the scent throw strength. I am in the process of testing 40 new oils but because this procedure is much more time consuming, I haven't finished the batch. Will post when I do.

I think that this method is a more valuble tool than my previous method.

BTW- if 2", 1 ounce tin can kick ass in a large room, than 6 oz, 3" jar candle is sure to surpass. atleast, this is my thinking

Eve

I test either on my open front porch or in the living room, which is about 4000 cubic feet (LxWxH=CF). If it doesn't throw on the porch, I move it into the house. If it doesn't throw in the living room, I usually ditch the FO, unless I think the wicking may be off. :) I don't expect a little votive to fragrance a space as well as a larger candle would, so I test little ones in the bathroom or a bedroom. I don't evaluate until FMP happens for any candle - gotta give it a fair chance!!

if 2", 1 ounce tin can kick ass in a large room, than 6 oz, 3" jar candle is sure to surpass. atleast, this is my thinking

... IF the wicking is "dialed-in." If under or over wicked, the throw may be affected. :)

I do all my own 1st run testing w/ votives in a regular size bathroom (8' ceiling) & larger candles in either our MB or the LR. If I'm happy w/ the results I start passing a few around to trusted testers w/ larger rooms & higher ceilings. My Mom & I paint professionally, so I also drag candles around & test in the houses where we're painting. I know it's a real keeper when we can smell candle instead of paint!

Susan.

My house is 950 sq ft. I'll test candles in my bedroom or sitting on the deep freezer in the living/dining room.

I' usually test pillars and votives in the bedroom and the 50z and 8oz jars in the living room. If the AC is off most will fill my house depending on the scent, if the AC is on it makes it to the return vent in the middle of the house.

My house is 2200 sq ft. I mainly use the master bath which is at the very far end of the house. For containers candles 6 oz or larger, the scent has to go into the master bedroom, around the corner, down the hall, into the dining room, around another corner and into the kitchen to be a 10. In other words, fill my whole house. I rate down according to how far the scent travels.

It has to at least get to the far end of the hallway and trying to get into the dining room to be a 7. If it's less than a 7, I discard the fo.

When testing votives and tarts, I use the hall bath, which is pretty much dead center of my house. The scent has to go out of the bathroom, fill the entire hallway, and trying to get into the adjoining rooms to be good enough to keep.

I test mine in an area dead center of my home. It's right where a 20x20 foot great room with a 12 foot ceiling meets a 20x 20 foot kithchen and a 14 x 20 foot dining room and a foyer. They are all pretty open to eachother. If I don't smell the candle within 30 minutes in all these areas as I'm walking around and even drifting into other rooms beyond, I regect the oil. I usually try wicking up up first and if that still won't do it, it's gone.