Spoon question

Haha, so I have kind of a silly question regarding spoons...

I was going to buy a wooden spoon for stirring my FO and dye into my wax, but my mom gave me a spare spoon she had but it was a hard plastic spoon. Is it ok to use a plastic spoon to stir in hot wax? :confused: Would the wax get hot enough to melt the spoon?

I know, major newb question, but I don't want to mess up my first batch :D

Go to the dollar store and get a large metal slotted spoon. One of the better investments I made. Hit it with the heat gun, wipe it off and it's ready for the next batch.

Depending on the type of plastic, the FO might eat it.

I would think the wooden spoon would hold FO and color.

Go to the dollar store and get a large metal slotted spoon. One of the better investments I made. Hit it with the heat gun, wipe it off and it's ready for the next batch.

Depending on the type of plastic, the FO might eat it.

I would think the wooden spoon would hold FO and color.

Ditto on the cheap metal spoons...easy clean up and last forever....well almost, I did have the "spoon" part break off, but that was only because I had already used it for 5 years! LOL

Stirring is serious business! LOL

Ditto on the cheap metal spoons...easy clean up and last forever....well almost, I did have the "spoon" part break off, but that was only because I had already used it for 5 years! LOL

Stirring is serious business! LOL

Haha! Extreme stirring!

I've got a ton of skewers for BBQing that we've never used...will that work until I can get a metal spoon? Or is the skewer so thin that it wouldn't mix the FO and dye into the wax very well?

I use wooden skewers all the time, they are so cheap they can just be thrown away. Never had a problem with FO and colour not mixing properly. I sometimes have to scrape the bottom of the pot with the end of the skewer to get excess dye mixed in, but it does the job.

I use wooden skewers all the time, they are so cheap they can just be thrown away. Never had a problem with FO and colour not mixing properly. I sometimes have to scrape the bottom of the pot with the end of the skewer to get excess dye mixed in, but it does the job.

Outstanding! Thanks!!

I use wooden paint stirrers... I keep one for my votives and one for container wax... they wipe off quick ith a paper towel when you're done mixing or with a quick blast from a heat gun if you don't wipe it right away... I've only gone thru 3 of tem in the last 5 years...

I use wooden paint stirrers..they wipe off quick ith a paper towel when you're done mixing or with a quick blast from a heat gun if you don't wipe it right away.

I ditto this. I've used paint stirrers forever and never had an issue with them holding scent or dye. Or any issues with them bleeding scent or dye into different projects. They are cheap and easy. I tried using skewers but never thought they did a very good job stirring, and if you whip them around too much you get air in your wax.

Kim

Thanks for the input everyone!

I think I might try out the plastic spoon and if it doesn't work, use a skewer until I can get something else. I think she bought some of those white plastic spoons from wal-mart, so if it works for you, it just might work for me :)