burn ?

Got a photo, Jen?

What kind of wax are you using in what size container with what wick?

For example, NatureWax C3 doesn't leave much of a film on the inside of the container (when wicked correctly) and the tops are quite smooth after burning. Other soys are not quite so kind...

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot all about this post!lol It is just a very light film on the glass, almost like a dirty glass?or maybe the film that is left on a glass after going through a dishwasher?

I am testing votives rightnow... the little buggers didn't want to come out, so i stuck one in the freezer,kept checking on it to see if it was ready to come out, less than 5 mins, but it had a few little cracks...

Would that be from the freezer or pouring too hot?

The cracks are most likely from the freezer, but I don't know which wax you are using. I'm sure you are using a votive wax or pillar wax, right? Just asking cuz you were talking about container wax in the beginning of this post.

Are the votives stuck to the wick pins or entirely in the mold?

If it is in the mold, how long did you wait to try to remove it? If it is only stuck to the wick pin, heatgun the bottom for a few seconds, then tap the top of the pin on something hard. The base of the pin should come right off the candle.

Can you not use any wax for votives like you can with paraffin? Votives are suppossed to be in a tight fitting container..so technically it is a container candle...so why couldn't you use container soy? That is what I used for the votives and they are burning nicely.....:undecided

Can you not use any wax for votives like you can with paraffin?

I am not aware that one can do that with paraffin because different waxes are formulated for different purposes. It SURE isn't wise with soy-based waxes! ;)

Soy container wax is too soft for molding... it is formulated to adhere to the container and NOT release!! A votive made from soy container wax would not release cleanly from the mold.

Votives are like mini-pillars more than they are mini-containers, even though they are intended to be burned in close-fitting containers. This is why soy pillar wax is used for making molded votives. If you want to use soy container wax to make votives, pour it directly into a wicked votive container and not into a votive mold.

I make them both ways, but I would not attempt to use container soy in a votive mold, unless I needed a frustrating experience which would end with an inferior product and jangled nerves...

Actually, for parrafin, container wax is the better choice..IMO.... votives are free standing..but are meant to be burned more like a container....soy I have only been testing containers and used some to make a few votives and they burn very nicely...2 mins in the freezer and they came right out of the molds.....

Votives are meant to completely liquify, whereas a pillar leaves a shell...

Will have to check with my supplier.......

So with the soy, is it because it is more finicky?? Or is it more of a release thing? If I used pillar/votive soy..it should just pop out of the mold?

Will have to order some as all I has here was the container soy, like I said the ones I made turned out good, other than a bit of a release issue..but I want to do it right!;)

I will be ordering the pillar wax, as evenually I want to do soy pillars as well, I just thought it would be like parrafin where you could use either/or.......but apparently that is not the case with soy.

I'm telling ya though ..... I had never actually bought a soy container, and I am lovin' how it burns!!!!