Is it possible?

Hi Everyone!

I'm a complete and total newb (and proud to say it!) when it comes to candlemaking.

I have yet to make my first batch (I'm still awaiting dyes). I picked out the 4630 container wax to start out with and bought some 8oz Jelly jars from Wally World to test with.

After I make my test batch and get a couple recipies ironed out, I'm going to buy some prettier jars to give as gifts, ect.

I completely fell in love with the 8oz Tureen jar. But alas, as I read through past posts on the forum, I've found that the Tureen is a difficult jar to work with. However, I love the jar too much to just plain give up on it quite yet.

My question is, has anyone mastered this jar using the 4630? Did you single or double wick? I'm not sure what the diameter of the jar is of yet, so I haven't picked out a wick to use with it yet. Which did you end up using?

Also, any advice you can give me concerning the Tureen would be great. Thanks all!

~Lindsay

Thanks for the welcome Candybee! I've seen quite a few posts on here where people have used them for wickless. As much as I love the jar, I may have to find something else if it's too difficult to properly wick them (especially when I'm just starting out) :) Thanks for your input!

I don't mean to bump my own thread, but I'm really considering using another container since not many have used the Tureen with the 4630 and from the posts I've read they can be rather frustrating to work with.

I've found a 12oz Flaired Square container at CS I like and I guess the same question goes with this container. Has anyone used it? Is it easy to wick? Do you like it?

It's 4" x 4"...bigger than a votive right?

Sorry for all the questions! I really want to find a container and stick with it, but I want to make sure I can use it and like :)

Thanks for your help everyone!

This is just from my own experience, and only my opinion, but you might want to perfect making jelly jar candles first, before you decide what type of jar candles you want to make next.

I know it's exciting, but you may be running way ahead of yourself. I'm only saying this, because that's my tendency. I learned along time ago from this board, that it's best to get one container/type candle perfected before moving on to something else ... just a thought.

Welcome to CT Lindsay. :smiley2:

haha, I know exactly what you're talkin' about CB. I tend to get ahead of myself a lot. Heck I haven't even poured my first jelly jar yet! :P You should see how many spreadsheets I have made up already :o

I think I'll take your advice and slow down a bit :) I'm just super excited to get started!

eb,

Are you talking height/width or diameter of the jar? When I said 4"x4" I meant height/width. *sheepish grin*

My jelly jars are about 2.5" in diameter so I don't think I'll need to double wick...hopefully not anyway!

Thanks guys!

I started out with jelly jars they are easy to do and give you a feel for what you are looking for in a good burning candle.

I have single wicked jars up to 3.25 inches without problems any thing over that and you MAY have to double wick. I will NOT double wick....I dont have patience for it.:)

tootie

Thanks for the input Tootie!

I didn't want to buy any containers that were expensive in case I found out candlemaking wasn't for me, so I bought a small case of jelly jars at wally world. They'll be perfect for testing, because I highly doubt i'll get it done right the first time! I have a feeling my first attempt will be a beautiful disaster :D

As for double wicking, we'll see how single wicking goes! I'm kinda like you, I don't have patience for certain things :)

They'll be perfect for testing, because I highly doubt i'll get it done right the first time!

Yeah, but only for testing jelly jars and whether or not you enjoy candlemaking. If you do find you enjoy making candles, you will have to test each container you use as they don't all wick/burn the same... Good luck & have fun! :)

I started out with jelly jars they are easy to do and give you a feel for what you are looking for in a good burning candle.

I have single wicked jars up to 3.25 inches without problems any thing over that and you MAY have to double wick. I will NOT double wick....I dont have patience for it.:)

tootie

Exact same boat, except I will double wick. I'm working on 16 oz. Apothecarys right now, and think I'm finally happy with double wicking these. Though I'm still burning. However, the 16 oz travel tins, PITA because I found a good burn, without an insane flame to totally consume was triple wicking, and the setters didn't work properly for these.

Stupid question, but...

To get a correct diameter measurement for my jelly jars, do you measure from the outside lip or the inside of the lip? I borrowed my hubby's calipers so I can get an accurate measurement :lipsrseal

Myself I always measure the inside diameter of a jar, and I use my calipers too. But keep in mind that the thickness of the jar will affect your burn. Some container walls are thicker, like the jelly jars. Some apothecary type jars are thinner. Over wicking the thinner jars can cause them to become too hot and possibly crack or shatter.

Also be aware that canning jars sometimes are only in stores during canning season. So if you start with canning jars and plan on staying with them, you might find it difficult to find them at certain times of the year. It can also be difficult getting stores such as Walmart to order them for you. But not always. You will have to see what you have available in your area.

Find a jar you like and stick with it. Don't test in a jar you have no plans on using or selling. To do so is a waste of time and money IMO. And make sure you have insurance before you start selling. Good luck and have fun.

Also be aware that canning jars sometimes are only in stores during canning season. So if you start with canning jars and plan on staying with them, you might find it difficult to find them at certain times of the year. It can also be difficult getting stores such as Walmart to order them for you. But not always. You will have to see what you have available in your area.

Find a jar you like and stick with it. Don't test in a jar you have no plans on using or selling. To do so is a waste of time and money IMO. And make sure you have insurance before you start selling. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the advice Meridith!

As for the jar situtation, the only reason I went with jelly jars at first is because this is my first time making candles and I didn't want to buy really fancy jars if I wasn't going to use them all if I decided candlemaking wasn't right for me. If I do like it, I plan on getting jars I will stick with for the longrun.

Thats why I was asking about the Tureen jars. I'm still considering using them but just double wicking. Whatcha all think?

I think one thing at a time. Get your wicking down on one container and then move on to others when you have a better *feel* for wicking. :)

That's what I was thinking too. :) I'm glad I got those jelly jars to start out with. Thanks!

I am a newbie too and that is exactly what I did. I use 4630 and I started out using canning jars first, too. I found that with 4630 a lot of the different FO required different wicks, so I had to do a lot of testing to get it right. After all that I decided to try a square jar that is approx. 4x4. Now I am back to testing again and using lots of wax and with the cost of this stuff I wish I had started out with what I wanted to begin with. If I were you I would find a jar that I like and just order a few and for testing purposes ONLY I would reuse the jars. Be careful because reuse can weaken the glass and I watch mine quite closely. At least that way when you figured out the wick you would not have to start all over with a different sized jar. I wish I would have. Hope this helps!

I am a newbie too and that is exactly what I did. I use 4630 and I started out using canning jars first, too. I found that with 4630 a lot of the different FO required different wicks, so I had to do a lot of testing to get it right. After all that I decided to try a square jar that is approx. 4x4. Now I am back to testing again and using lots of wax and with the cost of this stuff I wish I had started out with what I wanted to begin with. If I were you I would find a jar that I like and just order a few and for testing purposes ONLY I would reuse the jars. Be careful because reuse can weaken the glass and I watch mine quite closely. At least that way when you figured out the wick you would not have to start all over with a different sized jar. I wish I would have. Hope this helps!

Hey alright! Another newbie, and a fellow Okie to boot :) Did you use 8oz canning jars? If so, is there a crtain wick you used frequently? I know you said diff FO's required certain wicks.

I'll admit I'm a bit conflicted with the different advice I've been given, but since I bought and opened my jelly jars already, I guess I'll start with them. :) Any experience is good experience and the more I test, the more I'll learn. :)