Crystal Palm Pillar....STUCK!!

We FINALLY ventured into making our first pillar - crystal palm pillar wax with NG's Iced Pineapple...mmmmmm. I was TOTALLY excited about this...had been planning and researching these boards for quite awhile......but a little while ago my business partner emailed me and said that she can't get the darn thing out of the mold!! :mad:

I did lightly spray the mold - and gently took a papertowel and wiped it around - but now I am wondering if I didn't leave enough oil and if the wick pin had any cooking spray on it....:(

We made this candle on Saturday - she tried to remove it yesterday. Would we have had better luck if we had tried to remove it that day? The next day??

I am so disappointed! I guess we will try the fridge or heat gun, but what a bummer if I can't see how beautiful it was!!! lol

Any other ideas as to how I can get this little guy out of the mold without causing too much damage?

Hi Jane,

I often have problems with palm pillars stuck in molds.

It doesn't matter if you spray them or what, I believe it's the way "crystals" build and expand.

I had luck using a 3% by weight palm stearic (bought at candlewic along with wax).

Only with crystal palm wax. With feathering palm wax I used once a common stearic acid and the candles were deformed. I still have to re-test with palm stearic, maybe the difference it's there.

if you can try and let me know!

ETA: when they are stuck in the mold I use an air compressor, I shoot air in the wick hole and they slowly come out. if you are using wick pins and so you have a hole in the pillar just close the hole in the bottom before shooting air from the top, or the air will run away and won't do its work.

HTH

I don't spray our metal molds for palm wax except for the very first time I use one. After that, I heat the mold and wipe with a paper towel and pour. I use palm stearic in all my pillar palm wax blends and have only had one hang up in the mold and that wasn't because the candle stuck - it was because I dropped the freakin' mold and dented the top so the candle couldn't drop out...:mad:

If one is stubborn, I usually run warm water over the mold and it slips right out. I have found with votives, it's best to demold them when they are still just a teensy bit warm, especially the square and hex ones - they build up quite a bit of mold vacuum.

Thank you so much for all of your replies!

I will probably end up trying all of your suggestions before I get that stubborn guy out!!! (notice the difficult ones are always GUYS! LOL)

Now I am thinking I didn't research this enough! I see mention of palm stearic. Is this an additive that needs to be used for a good burn? Or would just help in the removal of the pillar? Will definitely need to do more research!

In my research, I did find a suggestion to add "mold release" to the wax - will need to check that out also.

Sabrina, I had to laugh when I saw the air compressor idea....only because my son has a huge air compressor in his garage and I can just see my pillar being "launched" over the horizon if I attempted to use it...lol I know my husband has a air compresser somewhere...........

Ohhhh, I just want to see our pretty candle.....lol

Thanks again, all, for your help. I will let you know if we are able to save it

Jane

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help!

The pillar did come out and it is a beauty! We are going to take a picture of it and I will attempt to post it in the gallery.

I tried the heat gun on low and it slid right out. I was amazed at how beautiful it is and the scent....mmmmmmmm.....I just love it!

I "overheated" the votives so when they released, most of the crystal design was gone. I burned it today and it was scrumptious. I may have to wick up on that...I think I started with an LX16. It did pretty good, so that may be the one, but I just want to check an LX18 to be sure.

Thanks again!

Jane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
:confused: I take the star burst out of the mold before all the way cooled down, then bubble wrap it and let it sit until cooled. This way I can get the candle out of the mold. I don't have any problem with the feather wax coming out. I cover my molds with bubble wrap before pouring and then cover over the top of them so they can cool down slower. The star burst burst more this way and the color really pops out. I made pumpkin spice and colored with orange chips and one was not covered and one pillar was cover with bubbble wrap before. the one with bubble wrap turned a darker orange and the one without wrap was a yellowish color.

:confused: I take the star burst out of the mold before all the way cooled down, then bubble wrap it and let it sit until cooled. This way I can get the candle out of the mold. I don't have any problem with the feather wax coming out. I cover my molds with bubble wrap before pouring and then cover over the top of them so they can cool down slower. The star burst burst more this way and the color really pops out. I made pumpkin spice and colored with orange chips and one was not covered and one pillar was cover with bubbble wrap before. the one with bubble wrap turned a darker orange and the one without wrap was a yellowish color.

OK - I have only poured one pillar, but I think we have it wicked correctly - after several different wicks-lol-, so I have a question before I pour different scents for testing....

You say you pull it out before it is completely cooled, but don't you have to do a second pour on the starburst, or is it a one pour wax??

I did put a box over our tester pillar, but I will try wrapping it in the bubble wrap and see what happens. I just love, love, love this wax!

I made some tonight and pulled them out of the molds before they cooled all the way then stuck them in an insulated cooler to finish cooling down. The bubble wrap around the molds seems to help bring out the stars better for some reason. Keeping them warm after taking out of the molds helps the stars pop out also. I have a silicone pillar mold that I pour into also, and it comes out of them nicely. The metal ones are stinkers but if I take them out while still warm, it is easier. The feather wax is so much easier to work with.

Guest scrapgabbie

hehehehe l had the same thing happen to me a few days ago...l decided to make my FIL a blueberry scented birthday pillar... and it stuck in the mold good and proper.

l couldn't believe it, we tapped and shook and poked, and put it in the freezer, l read the boards here...scratched my head, remelted it, repoured it, and the exact same thing happened.

Several hours later l then happened to glance at the label on the bag of palm wax. Yup...it was container palm wax. Gee l'm clever LOL (NOT!) :P