Sand Candles?

Anybody else the The Martha Stewart show where she made "Sand Candles" ? The cheap part of me that doesn't want to buy all the molds to make pillars thinks this might just be the way to go. The possibilities for candle shapes are totally endless. I suspect there is very little sand left on the outside.. and what is left just adds to the charm anyway.

Here's a link to the info on her website. http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=d6c1ab645852f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&rsc=image_1&autonomy_kw=sand+candles

Whatcha think?

Take care,

Chele

Yep that's one way to do it. Of course you don't have to use beeswax. Pillar wax does just fine. To get a really nice crust of sand you can heat the wax up to 250 F. And using different grains of sand from Fine to Coarse will yield cool results.

The Encyclopedia of Candlemaking Techniques has some really good basic instructions for making sand candles.

I kind of like the shapes they did. I would have a few concerns if I was going to do anything but make them for myself.

One it would be almost impossible to keep the wick straight as the wax cools the wick will bend away from the center. The is no way to really secure it to keep it centered and straight.

The second would be FO I noticed they did not say anything about FO and I know sand will leach FO from the wax and become highly flammable.

I make these with palm wax - lotsa fun!! Much easier to wick later than to try to keep the wick straight in the sand. Because palm wax is so strange, it doesn't penetrate much into the sand at all, so leaves a very thin coating. Never had any problem with the sand robbing the palm wax of FO...

Have not had the nerve yet to try soy...:shocked2:

Wasn't there someone here who talked about having a shop on the boardwalk and sold a lot of sand candles? Or maybe I am thinking of another forum. Anyway they said they sold a lot. But I am sure thats because they were sold right on at the beach.

I checked the link.....Martha's candles don't have much in the way of sand....just shape because the wax wasn't hot enough to penetrate the sand. I like medium sand....not too fine and not too coarse....then I get a crust of sand. Also...if the sand is too damp the cold water will keep the wax from penetrating so I make my shape and let it dry out a little before pouring very hot wax. I made Martha's flower pot beeswax candles a few years back. The were little red flower pots. Made from pressing real clay pots into the damp sand. I sold them but they didn't sell right away. I sold tons of my "Tidepool" candles with seashells in central Virginia. Those are by far the most fun sand candles for me. To each his own, but I like making things that turn out unique each time. And they are easy. I put a little can in the bottom of the sand before pouring. Keeps the bottom smooth and also makes it a safe place to have a wick. After the top is set up I poke a hole and insert a tabbed metal core wick with a stick.....it stays in place and when it burns....if anyone every burns these candles....it only burns into the can. A tea light can then be inserted if you want to light it again. The fun thing about sand is that you can be creative and make any shape you want. If you just want a round pillar.....just use a soup can for the impression in the sand.....a quart milk carton makes a great square candle...... You can even use a candle that you have to press into the damp sand......I don't like my husband's cat....but I don't think I should go there.....(smie)....Donita