How's business for you so far?

With the economy going the way that it is, how's business been going for you?

In the spring we noticed sales had declined by 15%, but as summer hit, we've seen an increase of sales by 25%. So overall there's been an increase in 10%.

We are in the southwest, where are you? :)

I am in Oklahoma and I did not go up on my prices of my candles when the other BIG COMPANIES DID. So, I am actually doing alot better right now. Prices of the BIG Companies here where I live are 16 oz. containers = $23.99!!! I sell my 12 oz. container for $12.99, so it saves them about $10.00 per candle plus - they will take a chance to try a new thing at that price and I have actually had them tell me that they will not buy another one from my competition and I am beginning to believe them because I sure am having ALOT of re-peat business. I am really looking forward to the Fall - I have already started making some candles and I am trying to get customers in put on it.

I sell at craft fairs and farmers markets. So far June was a disaster for me. My sales compared to June of last year are down more than 50%.

I do hope July is better. So far because of the holiday I have made almost half of what I made last month in this one weekend alone. :D

My sales don't really pick up until September thou. Then I usually see a much bigger surge in sales.

But this year has been a total crap shoot. Shows that traditionally do well have been slow or not well attended. I have noticed a lot of folks looking but not buying. Then the next show in another town I will make lots of big sales. I just don't know what to expect.

I am a little worried that fall this year may not bring the extra income I look forward to and depend on.

People are not buying or ordering quite as much and when they do, they want the less expensive items rather than the higher priced ones. I can understand - better to have a little candle than no candle at all! Even though our larger sizes are less expensive for customers per unit weight, they just can't afford to shell out $20 or $30 on ONE candle...

Did 2 craft shows and sale were terrible.I hope fall shows are better. Every day companies are closing and I know the reason. Just hope it gets better. Did a show on July 4 and all that was there were vendors. It rained alot but besides that people are with family.I will not be back to that one and I am sure they may not have another after this disaster one. As I was going to the show people were inside their garages having their cook-outs and some were outside with tarps up.It was nasty.

LynnS

I didn't do a lot before, so I'm basically doing nothing now. I hope to start wholesaling soon though, thankfully I can keep my prices somewhat low at this point as I bought the farm AND the barn doors when I started up and through last year.

I still have several 60lb. cases of container wax, 60lbs. of votive wax., and at the end of the year last year, bought the backups and extras of FO. The only thing I'm having to pay for at this very moment is the new containers I want to start carrying.

I'm still scared of wholesaling though. It's not talking that bothers me (obviously), it's the feeling of being pushy when I try to sell myself.

We have noticed that our store sales have been down in comparison to last year. However, our website is doing much better. We are finding that people would rather spend the shipping costs than drive (and spend the gas $$) to pick up their orders.

Candles sales were down to the point where we discontinued them. On the other hand, soap sales are holding steady. Most of the craft markets we do this time of year have shut down so we were limited, but the few we attended did much better than expected. We did anywhere from 25% to 50% better than last year. My repeat customers are ever faithful with their orders and I seem to be picking up more steadily.

Can't wait for the Fall/holiday season to kick in, to see how things go :yay: . Heck, I can't wait for Fall, period!

Rena