Customer wants NO labels on candles

Carla257

I have a new wholesale customer, she will be selling a lot of candles and have huge orders. The weird thing is, is that she wants NO labels on them. she says when she orders candles she will just rip the labels off. I'm sure she would probably then stick her own label on them.

I want my website address on them at least!

What do you think if this request from this customer? What should I do?

what r they guidelines when sticking on labels. Does the manufacturer have to be on the label?

Yes...

I put all that information on my warning label on the bottom of the candle.

( I get that done thru Peaks)

There is not much to do if she rips that off to.

Who know what people do to the candles once they get them.

At least you will have peace of mind knowing that you followed the proper guidelines.

Make sure you get paid upfront swhen she places her huge order!!

Make sure the check clears..:cool2:

If your customer is like one of mine...its because she doesnt want her customers to order straight from you.

I was selling candles not far from my house on consignment and I had no idea the labels were being ripped off until I went in one day to pick up left overs and drop off new ones...only good thing is the warning labels were still on...for piece of mind...maybe just use straight warning labels without your name...that way you'll at least feel good with no worries and if she does take those off them if there is any ever problems due to not have a warning label on them its her fault not yours....when I do a wholesale accounts I now have that on the contract...that warning labels MUST be left on....and I give an option of color...white, clear or brown kraft....I figure that way it covers me ialittle more anyways

That sounds weird to me. Is she going to say she makes them herself? Why else wouldn't she want anything on them. Most people don't care if you say "Made by ...... for ....."

That's not fair to you and your business not to give you recognition for what you have made. Something about this seems really fishy.

I would clarify what they want/mean. Let them know that you HAVE to have your contact info since you are the manufacturer, but that can be a smaller label/sticker on the bottom so it doesn't affect the appearance.

I personally wouldn't make a big deal of not putting a decorative label on the jar because my own preference is clear/plain jars as well ~ I think it looks cleaner, so I wouldn't worry about an account requesting jars without labels.

I would bring up insurance issue with this client, because if someone's house burns down because of a faulty candle I am sure she wouldn't want to be responsible for it. If she buys wholesale from you, she may have bought wholesale from others and you want to make sure it's not your candle that starts the fire.

HTH,

Kim

By law, you have to include a contact and/or company info somewhere on the candle you produce. Warning label is the typical spot it seems for wholesale/private label accounts.

Is there one source to find out all of the laws related to candle making? This would be very good to know.

Sorry for hijacking a bit..... it sounds like this lady wants a private label.. so you need to decide whether you want to do that or not.

Make sure you get paid upfront swhen she places her huge order!!

Make sure the check clears..:cool2:

I second this!!! Don't get burned. Sounds like she is wanting you to do this so she can sell as a private label. I'd ask upfront why she doesn't want labels on them and explain your guidelines for this (ie: your warning label will have your information and must remain in tact or if at any time it doesn't then you wont' sell to her, etc...whatever you see fit). I'd get EVERYTHING in writing as well so that there are no questions and actually I would NOT accept checks PERIOD on first orders. I make a good history be established first!! Otherwise, credit card, cash, cashier check or money order.

Time to decide if you want to private label or not! Something to consider; Minimums, Terms, Delivery, Re-orders, Insurance and your policy for private labeling which includes a provision that statess in order to private label our candles, you must agree to our labeling policies. All candles must have a warning label affixed on it in a permanent manner. On this label will be disclosed our company name as the "manufacturer" of the candle along with our contact information.

My warning label for private labeling states that the candle was made exclusively by my company for their company.

I have terms which include minimum orders, number of scents per order and 50% of their order up front for costs. That way if they back out you are only out your labor. Then contact your insurance company and add her as an additional insured and I make my private lable customers pay an annual fee for that.

Make sure you spell it all out. I love my private label customers but they are very demanding - I think it's because they literally are selling the candles as theirs, it's their name and reputation. So best to get it all iron out up front.

I have one merchant that doesn't want any labels on the candles I sell to her. I don't have a problem with that, because she sells them with her own label. She understands all the insurance stuff. It is up to her and just as long as she pays me. We are both happy.

Is there one source to find out all of the laws related to candle making? This would be very good to know.

Sorry for hijacking a bit..... it sounds like this lady wants a private label.. so you need to decide whether you want to do that or not.

No, unfortunately. The National Candle Association is a good place to start:

http://www.candles.org/about_faq.html

"

What kind of label information is required for candles?

Federal law requires that consumer commodities like candles be labeled with the manufacturer's name and location, as well as basic product weight and measurement information.

In addition, candle industry standards call for cautionary labels on candles or their packaging to inform consumers of the basic rules of fire-safety. All NCA members place cautionary labels on their products, and usually supplement them with additional burning and use instructions. Always read and follow a candle's cautionary label and burning instructions before using a candle."

Here is the specific law:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode15/usc_sec_15_00001453----000-.html

(1) The commodity shall bear a label specifying the identity of the commodity and the name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor;

(2) The net quantity of contents (in terms of weight or mass, measure, or numerical count) shall be separately and accurately stated in a uniform location upon the principal display panel of that label, using the most appropriate units of both the customary inch/pound system of measure, as provided in paragraph (3) of this subsection, and, except as provided in paragraph (3)(A)(ii) or paragraph (6) of this subsection, the SI metric system;

If you are into heavy reading here's the link regarding the Federal Trade Commission Fair Packaging and Labeling Act

paragraphs 500.4 and 500.5 apply.

www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fpla/part500.shtm

And candles are specifically mentioned as needing this label in Section 503.2(B). So she (as a retailer) would be inviolation if she removes your label... see Section 502.3. (PM me if you have problems navigating the site.)

I'd venture to say the majority of home-based candlemakers don't comply. And the label inspectors (if there are any) are concentrating on Big Business and import/export compliance. I've never heard of a local business getting into trouble over this. But showing her these regulations may give you the leverage to make sure your company name stays on the product...even if it gets private labeling.

If you are into heavy reading here's the link regarding the Federal Trade Commission Fair Packaging and Labeling Act

paragraphs 500.4 and 500.5 apply.

www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fpla/part500.shtm

And candles are specifically mentioned as needing this label in Section 503.2(B). So she (as a retailer) would be inviolation if she removes your label... see Section 502.3. (PM me if you have problems navigating the site.)

I'd venture to say the majority of home-based candlemakers don't comply. And the label inspectors (if there are any) are concentrating on Big Business and import/export compliance. I've never heard of a local business getting into trouble over this. But showing her these regulations may give you the leverage to make sure your company name stays on the product...even if it gets private labeling.

Judy, thank you thank you thank you!!!! This information is so important to us, I think it should be stickied. I will read every word.

To the original poster, I am very sorry for hijacking the thread, but it seemed the logical time to ask the questions.

If you use the links in Miss Mary's and Judy USMC posts you will find the laws. Here is a snippet from the National Candle site:

Federal law requires that consumer commodities like candles be labeled with the manufacturer's name and location, as well as basic product weight and measurement information.

In addition, candle industry standards call for cautionary labels on candles or their packaging to inform consumers of the basic rules of fire-safety. All NCA members place cautionary labels on their products, and usually supplement them with additional burning and use instructions. Always read and follow a candle's cautionary label and burning instructions before using a candle.

If you use the links in Miss Mary's and Judy USMC posts you will find the laws. Here is a snippet from the National Candle site:

In addition, candle industry standards call for cautionary labels on candles or their packaging to inform consumers of the basic rules of fire-safety. All NCA members place cautionary labels on their products, and usually supplement them with additional burning and use instructions. Always read and follow a candle's cautionary label and burning instructions before using a candle.

Bulk candles are sold around the country with no such label required. I'll have to look at the link.

Bulk candles are sold around the country with no such label required. I'll have to look at the link.

Federal law requires the manufacturer info and weight on each container. If there is a bag of bulk items (like tealights) the information would be on the package it came in.

There is no Federal law requiring a safety label. And whether or not it would get you off the hook if there was a liability issue is another discussion entirely. All of the "big boy" members of the NCA have them on their products.