Olive oil added to M&P?

bunkie68

I made a batch of M&P soap using the SFIC shea butter base - I used a pound of base, and added Coconut Hibiscus FO (1 teaspoon) and olive oil (1 teaspoon). My husband said he isn't crazy about it, that it seems awfully slippery to him (although he said "slippery" wasn't exactly the right word, nor was "plasticky", like it doesn't have much substance, that it felt to him like what he thought cheap girly soap would feel like. :undecided I resisted the urge to kick him in the shins :laugh2: (this is only my second batch of M&P, and the first was shaving soap with a little sweet almond oil added), and I'm trying to take this as the constructive criticism he intended and see if I can improve on things.

Could the olive oil be making it feel slippery (or whatever he's trying to describe)? He said the lather didn't seem real substantial, either, although I think it lathers all right. I know olive oil is supposed to have humectant properties, so maybe that makes it feel strange to him. (Or maybe he's just a silly man used to using cheap soap. :laugh2:) Any thoughts are welcome on what I might try to make the soap better.

On the bright side, I did pour it in layers (first ever!), and they've held up nicely. The bar we're testing is nearly gone, and they haven't separated at all. :yay:

I'm not sure at all :)! I normally just use the mp base that I have and don't add much to it so you are doing great with experimenting :D !!

Make him a bar with just the goat milk base and see if he thinks the same. My husband was always the type that would be disappointed in lathering as well until I introduced him to the netted sponge lol! Now he will even use them at work after PT regardless of the ribbing he gets from the other soldiers:D !

Have him try a bar with just the base and scent and see what he thinks. That should help you decide on if it is the added oil or if it may be the overall base he doesn't like.

HTH

Angi

I never add oils to my soaps that I sell, but I did once just to play around and see what all the fuss was about since so many other people do add stuff to their soap and my opinion of the olive oil was "snotty" or "slimey" so no way I would ever want that going out with my name on it, plus I think olive oil has a weird smell :undecided

A little unrelated, but I did find that adding mineral oil made my experiment bars kind hard, so if you want a harder bar, that might be something to try.

If you're going for softness, try castor oil.

Angi, thanks for your thoughts - that does help!

I never add oils to my soaps that I sell, but I did once just to play around and see what all the fuss was about since so many other people do add stuff to their soap and my opinion of the olive oil was "snotty" or "slimey" so no way I would ever want that going out with my name on it, plus I think olive oil has a weird smell :undecided

A little unrelated, but I did find that adding mineral oil made my experiment bars kind hard, so if you want a harder bar, that might be something to try.

If you're going for softness, try castor oil.

The bar seems plenty hard enough (as in, it's not rapidly dissolving away to nothing), I think it's more the "slimy" you mentioned. I'll make another batch sans olive oil and see how it goes. The sweet almond oil made the shaving soap nice - it's gotten good reviews from the hubby and from friends who've tried it out, so there's no slime factor there. Maybe it is the olive oil. Thanks for the thoughts! And the olive oil may well fall into the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" category. :D

Olive oils lends a hardness to MP soaps. Too much can inhibit lather and maybe give it that slimy feeling (I think it's just that it will "melt faster" if too much oils are added). I've used regular olive pomace with good results. Have you tried adding butters? Like mango or shea butter?

Hopefully PA jumps in here... she's the MP queen. lol

I wouldn't use mineral oil though. :wink2: But that's just my preference.

Yep, olive oil will definitely make a bar of soap feel snotty! It's gross!! I wouldn't think it would do that at the amount you added, but that's the only thing I can think of with what you've mentioned that would have given it that feel. I love using it though because as CBE mentioned, it helps quite a bit with hardening the bar up, but because of the snot factor I use bees wax instead most of the time!

Keep on experimenting with additives! And when you find things that work or don't work so well post here and let us know lol, it's a great way to get new ideas, and learn about things you might not want to try too! :)

Oh, good, I'm glad to know that there's a reason! I'll try again without olive oil. I haven't experimented with butters - I may do that this go-round. (Whatever I make is going for a swap here, so they can test it out and offer me some constructive criticism! :D)

I add about 1/2 T. coconut oil, and 1 T. stearic acid to a pound of m&p base.

The bars are harder and lots of lather.

I just put everything in my pyrex measuring cup and microwave it for 1 minute...stir...microwave for another minute.

If I remember to put saran wrap over the cup before melting...it melts faster. Putting saran wrap over the cup helps keep the moisture in the soap base.

I made a batch of M&P soap using the SFIC shea butter base - I used a pound of base, and added Coconut Hibiscus FO (1 teaspoon)

Does 1 tsp really scent a pound of soap enough? Seems like it would take more than that.

I was searching around the 'net for various soap stuff and found this:

http://www.soapnuts.com/nutsmprecipes.html

My favorite recipe for a great lathering, creamy, harder, long lasting bar of M&P is this:

Per 2 pound batch of melted opaque base add:*

2 T. Goatsmilk or Buttermilk powder whisked with 1/4 cup cold water

*(add this liquid milk to your base as your melting it and it

won't clump)

1 T. Emu Oil (fantastic oil) melted with 1 tsp. of stearic acid flakes

2 T. Fragrance Oil or 1 T. Essential Oils

Also add your color. Blend well and pour into molds.

You can also add 2 T. ground oatmeal, calendula petals, etc. etc. If

you want your additions to stay suspended in the base cover the base

with saran wrap so a skin doesn't form. Come back to it every few

minutes and stir. As soon as it gets thicker and your oatmeal (or

whatever) stays suspended in the base then its time to quickly pour

into your molds.

You can add the emu oil and stearic acid to a clear base with a very

little pinch of borax and it will stay clear, and still make a nice

bar. Don't add milk a clear base it looks murky and yucky.

Stacy B.

Well I ALWAYS add olive oil to my soap base. My customers kept asking for it so I tested it out and my soap comes out fine each time. I use only 1 tsp per lb. But I also use many other additives, oils, and butters, etc. to my soap base. You have to develop a recipe to use so you get a good bar of soap that has the right mix of additives, etc.

I get a hard bar that lasts and lasts, has lots of rich creamy lather and is very moisturizing. Plain M&P with no added oils or butters is just not a very good bar of soap as far as I am concerned.

So don't be afraid to experiment. Olive oil can make your soap so nice if you use it right. It adds richness to your soap, hardens it, and makes it more moisturizing. To get good lather try adding glycerin too. I use 1/2 tsp per lb of base. You want creamy lather add castor oil too. I use 1 tsp per lb.

Remember you can add up to about 2 tbs of additives to 1 lb. I actually add more depending on the type of soap I am going for. But the 2 tbs of additives rule is a good way to beging making and creating your own recipes.

Hey all I actually always add olive oil to my bases and they are also sfic. I've never had a problem and they are hard. Still lather very well so I have no real answer for you. In my clear soaps however, I add jojoba oil and since its a wax it automatically hardens the bar!