Cargill C-3 Wax

Hi!

I am a newbie to this board, but not to candlemaking. I had the misfortune of having my soy wax discontinued by the Astorlite company. :mad: So, now I am back to the drawing board of trying new waxes to decide what I am going to switch to! :( I was wondering if anyone had tried the Cargill C-3 wax and what did you think about it. Or do you have any suggestions. Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

TIA,

Beverly :cool:

Hi, I have used the C-3 quite a bit. I'm now looking at some other waxes also. It does get sink holes around the wick even when poured slowly and at a cooler temp. They can be fixed with a heat gun but then you have to deal with frosting. Some times it takes a bit of work to make the tops look nice. It's also unpredictable. Some times it will snow flake like crazy on the sides and some times it won't. Even with the same FO's and dye.

I've used C-3 for a year and like it fine. But then I always do two pours instead of one. It has to cure for at least five days but the scent throw is great.

My customers don't have problems with frosting. I like it! ;)

Actually, I use it as the core of my soy wax since I also add two other waxes to it to expediate the curing process.

Soy is a very unpredictable wax. Because shipping costs are so high, I would try what you can get closest to you and try to make it work for you. I buy mine from KY and pay the shipping, just because I tested several and that is what worked the best for me. Everyone has a wax that works the best for them. If you try the C3 and don't like it, there are many others out there to try.

I cured the sinkhole problem with the c3 by not pouring up to the neck but stopping a little below it. When I used hex jars and poured up to the neck I got sink holes like crazy. Now when I do use the c3 I use wide neck apothecary jars and pour below the neck. Even with 16 oz jars there was no pitting. Try it...it may work for you!

i do get sink holes no matter what temp i pour! i do get frosting but you know what frosting doesn't bother me at all! i know it does alot of people but i really don't care..lol

my major complaint is the seeping (i only use 1oz per lb). but another wonderful person on this board gave me a great idea and that idea is working for the most part!

it does have a great throw after a bit of curing time and i don't find it difficult to wick either! hth

I agree with Steve- nice smooth tops except for the sink holes. Correcting the sink holes with a heat gun creates major frosting- got tired of trying to correct these things every time I poured so now I am using what I have left for non colored candles only!

I do like the C3, and like the others had some sinkhole issues. I just poke a couple relief holes when it's setting up and do a topping pour. I feel better poking the relief holes anyway, that way I know for sure there are no airpockets down inside

Hi. I'm trying different waxes and two days ago poured an 8 oz. square mason with the Cargill. It turned out the nicest of four different soy waxes. No wet spots, no frosting, no holes. I had almost decided to order it as my main wax but maybe need to test more and see about the issues brought up in this thread. My question is what % FO do you use? I thought the directions said about 6%, and I am used to using more than that. Do you get a good throw at that amount? This forum saves so much needless purchasing! Beth

I use 8-10% and cure for a week. Awesome result!

I know Cargils says this is a one pour wax but with the larger jars, I do two pours and it solves the vent hole issue. I too never minded the frosting. But I still wish Cargils had left the C-2 on the market for those thousands of us who loved it! :rolleyes: It was the best soy wax they ever made!

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it. I think that I will give the C-3 a try. Every wax that I have ever used has had from time to time a frosting issue (nothing major). So I don't think too much about a little frosting. Thanks again! :D

Beverly

Hi. I'm trying different waxes and two days ago poured an 8 oz. square mason with the Cargill. It turned out the nicest of four different soy waxes. No wet spots, no frosting, no holes. I had almost decided to order it as my main wax but maybe need to test more and see about the issues brought up in this thread. My question is what % FO do you use? I thought the directions said about 6%, and I am used to using more than that. Do you get a good throw at that amount? This forum saves so much needless purchasing! Beth

You'll run up against that some FO's work better in veggie wax than others do.

I have some scents I do only use about 6% with the C-3, but a lot of others I use 8 and even 9 percent, which you can't always get away with because of seeping problems. Even some high quality scents just won't work right in veggie if they were originally formulated for paraffin.

Ya know, I've heard that from hundreds of people all over and to be honest, I've never found a scent that won't work in soy wax. I've tested and tried over 100 of them and they all threw just fine. But my list of scents is constantly changing so I test a great many scents. Haven't had one that won't work yet. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought some of this today to try from a local supplier. Is this a 100% soy product like GF 415 or is it a soy blend?? The owner of the supply company says it is 100% soy. Then when I looked it up one site said it was a veggie/soy blend... Can anyone clear this up for me.. TIA :confused: