Additives to harden wax?

I have searched the forum and didn't really find the answer I was looking for.

I am testing with 464 and I would like for it to be a little harder. Is there anything I can add that will help me acheive this? By adding something I know that will affect the wicking and burn time but will it change the ST?

TIA for your answers. I have not played with any additives but CO so I am clueless.

You can add beeswax to make it harder. Start out with 3%. I have never used more than 5% thou. I have heard from others that tried that it started to crack the top of their candle.

Thanks... I am not good with the math..LOL Exactly how do I calaulate that or how much per pound is it?

Strange, but true, I use EO's at around 5% and find that my wax is harder

Really? Never heard of that... How is the wicking between the FO and the EO? Where do you buy the EO's at?

I want to try anything I can to acheive the goal that I have in mind. HAHA, this could take years..... But I am having fun...:P

I find the wicking of both fairly similar, EO's and FO's but each EO can vary slightly so a lot of testing is needed. I get my EO from Australia and New Zealand. The heavier oils like vanilla are the ones that make the surface harder and appear to have a look of soy being mixed with paraffin. These oils need wicking up also.

Thanks... I am not good with the math..LOL Exactly how do I calaulate that or how much per pound is it?

Really? Never heard of that... How is the wicking between the FO and the EO? Where do you buy the EO's at?

I want to try anything I can to acheive the goal that I have in mind. HAHA, this could take years..... But I am having fun...:P

Here is how I do the math...

16oz X .03 = .48 so about 1/2 oz is 3%

tootie

Thanks tootie...I was wondering if the additive percentage was calculated the same as FO.

Maybe I will just keep playing with the straight 464.

I am going over to your test thread to read about the 6036:rolleyes2 ...LOL

The 464 is actually the GB 402 (a very soft low MP soy) that has had 2% Universal Soy Additive blended into it. Poured at the right temp it does set up with smooth tops but it still is pretty soft, the USA raises the MP a bit, but not much more than 120 degrees. I have tried using 3% beeswax in 402 and it hardens it, but the hot throw is sacrificed somewhat. Now 415 with 3% BW poured at 100-105 deg was pretty popular a couple of years ago.

geek