Too much lye?

Billie

I made a 5 lb. batch of soap and accidentaly shorted it by 12 ounces of water.

I was trying to use a master batch of lye water 50/50 and didn't do the math right. I don't know how to figure out the percentages to see if this is to lye heavy, if so could I rebatch and add the missing water. Sorry new at soaping

Thanks, Billie

So what happened to the soap? Did it accelerate fast? How long ago did you make it? Your lye is the right amount but you sure did a super duper water discount!!

If it hasn't been that long ago I put cut it up in small pieces and cook in the crockpot with the additional 12 ounces you shorted in the soap and do HP.

Barbara

It accelerated really fast. LOL It lathers nicely, it was a lard based soap. I just did this last night. I think I will rebatch it. It was a pretty peach and turquoise color in Hummingbird.

Thank you

It get confusing when doing the 50/50 lye water solution sometimes you just have to write it down on paper. If your recipes calls for 6 ounces of Lye you despense 12 ounces of your solution to get the 100 percent lye amount but you need to add back in your water of 6 ounces to get the 33% solution.

HTH

Barbara

shorting water won't make it lye heavy, it just make it hard to work with because it might accelerate. nothing is wrong with the soap, no need to rebatch, unless you have the wrong amount of LYE or OILS in your batch.

BTW: lard is a slooooooooow mover, so you might have done yourself a favor LOL.

Other than the top not being smooth, I tried to make it look like icing. The slab feels pretty smooth and it feels creamy when lathering. I think I will cut into bars and if it doesn't turn dry and crumbly I will go ahead and use it. I'm not selling, this is just for myself and family.

Thanks

Billie

It's still soap - water is not what would make it lye heavy, having too much lye for the oils used would. I'm surprised you got the lye to dissolve in less than 50% water!!

I'd totally use it up...I can't see the picture real well, but if I had made the same mistake and it looked good I'd sell it too!

LOL It was fine when I put colors in the pot but turned thick before I could even swirl it. I could barely pour it and a pretty swirl on the top just wasn't to be, it was too thick. haha! In case anyone else does this, this thread might help. The soap feels great though, nice and creamy. Thanks for all the support. Math lesson learned. :laugh2:

Billie