First M&P

Ok, it's official...I'm hooked on this stuff. This batch doesn't lather unless you use a scrunchy net thingy...but I'm still a proud mamma of my first batch of Shea M&P...added Mango butter, color and pink grapefruit scent. Tried to be creative and put pink sugar crystals on the bottom of the mold...didn't quite get the effect I was going for!:laugh2: It was still fun!

post-7000-139458447122_thumb.jpg

Those are ADORABLE! I am so proud of you for takeing the risk and giveing it a try! play, experiment, and read all you can find and soon you won't need my soap anymore.

Your new babies are beautiful. Just use the scrunchy... and I bet it smells better than anything you can buy at the store too!

Thanks ladies, they pale by comparison to the beautiful soaps posted here, but they are still my first so I'll be proud of them! Years down the road, when I'm better at this, I'll say...What the heck was I thinking...those are awful!:laugh2:

Good for you!

Does the soap lather well without the butter?

Do you think you might have added too much butter; that's why it doesn't lather much?

Finally tried it by itself and it has very little lather. Made a 2nd batch with no butter, added castor oil and it's a little better...still not much lather. I'm glad I only bought 5# of this base.

I wonder if you would get better lather if you embedded some handmade soap in it. Maybe grate the end of a bar the lathers well… get the best of both worlds? Try just one bar, 4 oz. use about 2 oz each, base and bar soap?

Well, maybe I can part with one bar of your good stuff, but I really need to try a different base...have some coming soon!

BTW, your EVOO....OMG! It's right up there with my other favs.

Finally tried it by itself and it has very little lather. Made a 2nd batch with no butter, added castor oil and it's a little better...still not much lather. I'm glad I only bought 5# of this base.

Castor oil works better in cold process since it saponifies. I use it in every batch.

I don't think castor oil would add much to MP.

Castor oil works better in cold process since it saponifies. I use it in every batch.

I don't think castor oil would add much to MP.

I agree about castor in CP, but in general I never had much luck with improveing MP, but it sure makes the prettiest soaps!

Anita, don't waste the Castile in the MP, I don't think it will add any lather as it has so little by it's self. I've been looking for an excuse to soap... I'll make a batch of plain of my bubbly recipe. Can you wait a month?

I agree about castor in CP, but in general I never had much luck with improveing MP, but it sure makes the prettiest soaps!

Anita, don't waste the Castile in the MP, I don't think it will add any lather as it has so little by it's self. I've been looking for an excuse to soap... I'll make a batch of plain of my bubbly recipe. Can you wait a month?

I won't be using this base anymore so hopefully I won't have the issue. I have only 2# left and I'll use it with glycerin which is what improved the lather quite a bit. The new base I got is much better for lather and I'll be careful how much butter/oil I add to it so I don't kill it all!

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder if you would get better lather if you embedded some handmade soap in it. Maybe grate the end of a bar the lathers well… get the best of both worlds? Try just one bar, 4 oz. use about 2 oz each, base and bar soap?

Yep, that would work. The finer the grate, the better...otherwise you could end up w/ pieces of CP w/ no MP to hold it together!:laugh2:

Congrats on your first baby! I love those heart shapes!