Supplier Info Needed: Isopropyl Alcohol

This sort of thing isn't needed in my usual line of work (candles), but I've had some requests to make scented lamp oil. I figure you B&B folks use lots more chemicals so you might know of a good supplier for this stuff.

Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated :)

Ronnie

i get quart sized bottles of 91 and the usual 70% alcohol at my WalMart. they don't cost much more than .15-.25 a bottle than the regular sized ones.

With DeAnna's suggestiong, you might also check with a local medical supplier, you might get a deal and not have to pay shipping on it.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would you use Rubbing Alcohol in a scented oil lamp. It's not an oil...

And if it has water in it, would that interfere with whatever it is you are using it for?

My understanding is that it isn't really an "oil" lamp but an alcohol lamp. They're called La Tee Da Effusion lamps and they sell the scented bottles of their fuel for a large amount of money, considering that it's apparently mostly isopropyl alcohol and a little bit of FO.

I'm still investigating this however, so it may not be as simple as it sounds ;)

You use the 91% alcohol to make whatt they call "lamp fuel". Just be very careful scenting the fuel. I beleive the recipes I have seen is 15oz 91% alcohol, 1/2oz frangrance oil, 1/2oz water. But you need to really test this stuff before selling-some frangrances are heavier than others so you would cut back on the frangrance oil or you can ruin the wick(or stone) certain scents can clog the wick, and these stone wicks usually run a customer 10.00-15.00 each so money saved on homemade fuel make end up the costing the customer more by replacing the wicks.

I have tested alot of scents here with my lamps the vanilla or anything with vanilla and also patchouli type scents always gave me problems, but when I ruin a wick it only cost me 3.75 to replace it.

If you want too carry something like this in your line I would suggest contacting a supplier who amkes it and just resale it, I carry the Sophia fuel and wholesale is only 4.00 a bottle I sell them for 10.00 and people love that it's such a deal. Also the Redolere lamps wholesale cost is 8.95 and 11.95 and I sell them for 30.00 so it has a good mark-up.

HTH

Angie

I still till this day buy La Tee Da and Lampe Berger oils, the authentic variety. Yes, they are ridiculously priced at 20.00 for 16 oz for the LB type. A lot of eBay peeps sell these, in the generic form. Recipes too. I'd be leary of buying any of them, personally. Not to put in my Lampe Berger's- NO WAY.

I have the stuff to make this oil, but from what I've been told, if it isn't a good formulation, they clog the wick and/or ruin the stone in the lamp. Maybe I'll get a knock off lamp and try it.