What is this....? (pic attached)

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It is soy, and plain soy without any additives will sometimes get that cauliflower look. I can't tell by the picture, is it just cauliflower looking, or did it swell up around the wicks as well?

A little beeswax will help with the cauliflower look, or I think some are using a little stearic. It will help smooth out the tops after each burn.

I used Soy with RRD wicks and normal FO (6.25%). It is a 16 oz tin and had a fairly good melt pool before I extinquished it. Now I have cauliflower head.

What is wrong?

Hey Seattle,

Is that the CB-3 Calsoy? I got that look somewhat (a little flatter looking though) with the KY-125 but not with the CB-3. However, I use the veggie modifier with the CB-3 which may help prevent that look. I do remember reading though that soy can do that and it is not abnormal for some soys. How long did it burn? Wicks look good.

~Holly

Kaybee23:

It's not swelling around the wick. Just looks like a cauliflower! I remelted some jars (EZSOY and probably some other soy wax) to test my new jars. They have the old FO in them but nothing else.

How much BW should I add per lb?

And Holly, where do you get your additive and what is it called?

I made my first test candle with CB3 today. I want it to cure before I light it up! (I made a patchouli, jasmine, orange, lemon candle and it smells sooooo good).

Some of my candles end up looking like that after a burn, too. I use EZSoy. I give my customers a little insert with their candles that explains the nature of soy wax and that this look does not affect the integrity of their candles. So far, no one has complained.

Hi Seattle,

I get the veggie modifier from Candle Soylutions:

http://www.candlesoylutions.com/additives.htm

If you do not use it, the tops definitely will not look as smooth as it does when you use it and it will frost more even though you can still get some frost with some FO and colors anyway. But, the tops really come out pretty except when I get that hairline circular top - but still very smooth.

I need to run to get the kids out the door. Good luck!

~Holy

Usually my soy is smooth, even after a burn. Sometimes it'll get a little crystalized look. The only time I ever got the cauliflower thing, was when I remelted wax with FO and then made a candle. It got a cauliflower top the first time I burned it. I think it changes the chemical composition a bit when you remelt scented soy wax, and then pour a candle with it. That's just my own experience.

Great ideas and explanations. I read somewhere once that a true soy candles will do this but man is it ugly! Thanks for the ideas on the additive and BW. I'll get some this week. Also great idea on letting people know whats coming! And it could be that I remelted it and changed the chemical makeup. Ill make a fresh batch and test it out.

I need 70 hours in a day, this 24 stuff is not cutting it.