Coconut Oil in M&P soap???

Lorraine

Anyone ever add coconut oil to their MP soap? It's suppoesd to have very beneficial qualities. Maybe you can share your findings if you have used it and also share how much you added per pound of base. Thanks in advance!

Lorraine

I have read somewhere on this forum that 1 T added per pound of melt & pour will increase lather. Seems like I also read that olive oil and maybe castor oil increase hardness. Haven't yet tried any of this myself though.

Darbla

Thanks Darbla! I don't remember ever reading that! I do remember reading that adding olive oil in small amounts will harden the bar and adding castor oil will help increase the lather.

Candybee~ Thanks so much for your response! I wondered if it was just a really stupid question! So glad to hear that it will make a difference in both the lather and the hardness of the bar! That's great! I will definitely try it!

Lorraine

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread, and I'm glad - I'm going to take my first stab at M&P with the shaving soap base, and I was debating adding a bit of coconut oil to it to make sure it lathers really well. Given that the base is heavy lather, though, is there another oil that might make it more moisturizing? I'm researching oils and their properties (thank you, millersoap!), but thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has experimented with adding oils to the shaving soap base. If not, I'll be the guinea pig! :grin2: