Igi 4794

I am looking for a paraffin pillar wax for colored melts. Before I fork out more for another sample of pillar wax, how is the 4794's cold throw (when you sniff it cold)? I have read good things about it, but have not seen a lot mentioned on the cold throw. The soy pillar wax I use for my non-colored soy melts has a great cold throw but when I tried the PB 10 (Calwax) pillar wax for another application the cold throw was very weak. It has 90% and 20% soy in it. It made a very pretty melt, but first impression for scent throw is very important. Thanks for any opinions on the 4794 cold throw. :)

I started out using the 4794 for my melts. I now use at 75/25 (4794/4630 or 6006) ratio for my melts. The reason is I like the way they look now versus just the 4794. HTH

Thanks. :) Does it pop out as easy from the melter with the added softer wax? I started out using a container blend (harder container blend) but it still did not pop out easy enough. I didn't like messing around with getting it out when switching out melts and thought the customers would feel the same way. I assume the cold throw is good with the 4794. ? Thanks again.

Cold throw on 4794 is pretty good, but I'm switching to Astorlite V. I think it has better throw (for melts) and it is a one-pour wax. Astorlite V does have a higher melt point so that may be a negative for some folks. Recently I have read a lot of people add container wax to 4794 to improve the throw and make it more of a one-pour. HTH.

Holly,

I have used 4794 for votives, melts and electric candles. It has great cold throw and hot throw and everything I have used it for has been easy to pop out of molds. I have only done a couple pillars but no problems there either. Takes color great too.

Holly I wasn't real impressed with the 4794 wax for tarts. I thought the h/c throw was very weak. I switched to JS votive/pillar & tart wax and I've been very happy with that wax. I'm sitting on almost a whole case of the 4794 so if anyone is interested in it real cheap pm me. I would like to get rid of it, HTH

I am looking for a paraffin pillar wax for colored melts. Before I fork out more for another sample of pillar wax, how is the 4794's cold throw (when you sniff it cold)? I have read good things about it, but have not seen a lot mentioned on the cold throw. The soy pillar wax I use for my non-colored soy melts has a great cold throw but when I tried the PB 10 (Calwax) pillar wax for another application the cold throw was very weak. It has 90% and 20% soy in it. It made a very pretty melt, but first impression for scent throw is very important. Thanks for any opinions on the 4794 cold throw. :)

Thanks everyone for your input. I see there are mixed feelings.

Cindy, I would love to try JS's pillar wax. The thing is, I am trying to keep my cost down as much as possible when I can.....especially on small items that you can't make a whole lot off anyway. So, darn, it looks like I am going to be limited if I need to keep my shipping cost down. There is always something....either too much frost for a particular application or lack of scent throw. It can really be frustrating at times. I really cannot have frost with this particular application -- would take away the look. So, I may tinker with the 4794 with a softer wax added like DiamondK does and see what happens. I will also look to see if there is another one that Let It Shines carries other than 4794. I think I saw one on there but not sure if it would be better.

Has anyone ever tried the IGI 4786 for melts? I have some of that on hand from when I first started testing candles. I hope to get something to work out. Thanks again!

P.S. I may even try to mix a softer wax with the PB-3 pillar that I currently use for my non-colored melts.

For those of you who use a softer wax for melts, how do you instruct your customers to empty the warmer? I don't want to tell them to pour it out in the trash even though this is what I do, because that could be a dangerous thing for them to do (hot wax spilling on them, etc.). Even though I have never had a problem doing it, and know that probably lots of customers do it that way if they buy softer melts, I don't want to take the chance on giving those instructions.

Holly, I have not tried 4794 for tarts (or any tarts for that matter) but in votives it works great including cold throw. 4786 has good cold throw too, but you'll need to mix it with something harder, for on its own I doubt you'd be able to get it out of the mold.

Holly, I have not tried 4794 for tarts (or any tarts for that matter) but in votives it works great including cold throw. 4786 has good cold throw too, but you'll need to mix it with something harder, for on its own I doubt you'd be able to get it out of the mold.

Thanks. Yes, you are right....it most likely won't come out of the mold. For some reason I was thinking of clamshells and forgot about the molds I need to use. :o

Thanks everyone for your input. I see there are mixed feelings.

Cindy, I would love to try JS's pillar wax. The thing is, I am trying to keep my cost down as much as possible when I can.....especially on small items that you can't make a whole lot off anyway. So, darn, it looks like I am going to be limited if I need to keep my shipping cost down. There is always something....either too much frost for a particular application or lack of scent throw. It can really be frustrating at times. I really cannot have frost with this particular application -- would take away the look. So, I may tinker with the 4794 with a softer wax added like DiamondK does and see what happens. I will also look to see if there is another one that Let It Shines carries other than 4794. I think I saw one on there but not sure if it would be better.

Has anyone ever tried the IGI 4786 for melts? I have some of that on hand from when I first started testing candles. I hope to get something to work out. Thanks again!

I will let you know how the pop out of the melters. I have some votives that I have to top off tonight and was going to see how they worked in clamshells myself, it would be great if it worked because I find that I always have some wax left over when I pour my votives and don't know what to do with it, so it justs ends up sitting around.

Pam F

I will let you know how the pop out of the melters. I have some votives that I have to top off tonight and was going to see how they worked in clamshells myself, it would be great if it worked because I find that I always have some wax left over when I pour my votives and don't know what to do with it, so it justs ends up sitting around.

Pam F

Thanks. :) But, which wax are you referring to? I was unsure if you meant the IGI 4786 because not sure how you get that out of the votive mold since you were talking about your leftover votive wax. If you mean the 4794, I am pretty sure that would do fine in the clamshell molds because it is a pillar wax.

Wanted to add that it is easier to get other types of wax out of the clamshell mold. Before I decided on going with the PB-3 pillar wax for hardness, the CB-30 container wax popped out pretty easy out of the clamshell molds. I decided though that I prefer hard wax for tarts, clamshells and any other kind of melt so it is easier to get it out of the warmer.

Pam F

Sorry I forgot to put in 4786

Pam F

I am getting confused...I see the IGI4794 being referred to as a "pillar wax", but I only use it for votives and melts. All my paperwork shows it as being for votives and melts. Do some of you use this wax for pillars?

I am getting confused...I see the IGI4794 being referred to as a "pillar wax", but I only use it for votives and melts. All my paperwork shows it as being for votives and melts. Do some of you use this wax for pillars?

That may be my mistake. I was calling it a "pillar" wax in general as meaning a "mold" release type wax. I did not know that they did not refer to it as a pillar wax. I don't make pillars or votives. You may be right....that it is to be used for votives and melts only. However, I would wonder why a wax that can be used for a votive could not be used for a pillar. Since I have never made a pillar or a votive and have not studied up on it, I would not really know why this would be.

That may be my mistake. I was calling it a "pillar" wax in general as meaning a "mold" release type wax. I did not know that they did not refer to it as a pillar wax. I don't make pillars or votives. You may be right....that it is to be used for votives and melts only. However, I would wonder why a wax that can be used for a votive could not be used for a pillar. Since I have never made a pillar or a votive and have not studied up on it, I would not really know why this would be.

The reason I asked is because I would like to start testing pillars. I use this wax already, so if some use it for pillars, I would be very interested to know that, and if they need to add anything to it.

Thanks for the reply!

Jane

The reason I asked is because I would like to start testing pillars. I use this wax already, so if some use it for pillars, I would be very interested to know that, and if they need to add anything to it.

Thanks for the reply!

Jane

Hi Jane,

I just read the specs at Let it Shine and it says it has a 128 melt point. That may be the reason. Because it has a lower melt point than most pillar wax (at least I think it does) I guess it would be more inclined to burn out too far to the edges which would cause drip over. I assume this would be the reason. Who knows though, maybe some do use it and can wick it so it does not drip over. At least it does release from molds. Maybe someone else will chime in here. Someday I would like to start making pillars and votives. Don't know why I have not tried it yet. Not enough time I guess to try something totally new.

~Holly

I use 2/3 4794 and 1/3 6006 for melts & clams. Great H & C throw, comes out of molds easily & tops don't sink. Carole

Could you use this mix for votives? Does it have to be poured hot? I want to do dixie cup votives so I would need a wax that can be poured kinda cool.

tootie

However, I would wonder why a wax that can be used for a votive could not be used for a pillar. Since I have never made a pillar or a votive and have not studied up on it, I would not really know why this would be.
The votive waxes are kind of in between a container wax and a pillar wax. They are hard enough to come out of a mold. But not so much so that they could stand up by themselves when lit.