Levelling pillar candles

Hi guys,

I've just 're-started' making paraffin candles after years of using soy and containers.....for the life of me I cant get pillars to be exactly level.

Round pillars I'm having no trouble with but the others are causing me grief. I'm using a flat tray and holding the pillars by the wick to try and level them but they are still not exactly level.

Please HELP...I'm not technical at all...but I think I can buy some levelling tool? I'll need a carpenters type of one (I think) becaue is Aust we cant buy a candle leveler....

Cheers,

Hellen

I'm sure lots of pillar makers have their own technique for levelling their pillars. This is mine:

I use a flat electric grill that I set on warm and place my pillar on that. My grill has a drip tray for the wax. I also place a small levellor on the pillar as I melt the pillar bottom. When I am finished I place on a level surface with the levelor on top to be sure it is level. I repeat if necessary. After a while you get more efficient and can do many pillars in a short time. Mostly it simply takes a bit of practice to get your pillars level.

HTH

Candy

BTW I got my electric grill at WalMart for about $19. Turned out to be a good investment. I also use it to keep my pour pots warm while I am stirring and mixing my candles.

My levellor I bought at a local hardware store-- ACE? for under $20. Its about 6 inches long and lightweight. I love it.

For me, the easiest way to check for a pillar being level is before you take it completely out of the mold. I slide it out until the shallowest edge is at the opening. It shows me exactly what needs trimmed. If it's just a tiny amount I can scrape it off right then, otherwise I mark a ring then trim it off after removing. Most of the time the candles are pretty much level to start with. Use a level and make sure your cooling surface is perfectly even to start with. It's much easier than trimming ;)

I have a little 6" level that I set on the top of the pillar and slide it around on an old electric frying pan (which I level BEFORE I turn it on). Usually, you can see how much to melt off or trim when you remove the candle from the mold as described above. If the candle is pretty off, I usually lightly score a line so that I don't get things wonkier than they already are...:)

For me, the easiest way to check for a pillar being level is before you take it completely out of the mold. I slide it out until the shallowest edge is at the opening. It shows me exactly what needs trimmed. If it's just a tiny amount I can scrape it off right then, otherwise I mark a ring then trim it off after removing. Most of the time the candles are pretty much level to start with. Use a level and make sure your cooling surface is perfectly even to start with. It's much easier than trimming ;)

That is the best idea I've heard of yet for leveling pillars! I don't know how you feel about BCN but you should submit that for their tip of the month.