I took on the Challenge

I am currently working on my web site and needed a break.

Gosh, there is so much more to it than I thought. I have not put my pay pal on it yet or posted any photos at this time, but if you would, please look it over and give me some constructive suggestions to make it better.

http://www.tatteredsilk.com

Thank you in advance.

PS. I am fully aware of the mis-spelled words on the one page, you will see what I am talking about when you read it ;)

I can't even get there ~ it comes up with a error box that I've never seen before telling me that "the domain name doesn't match" ... very weird!

ok ~ if I open a new/separate window and type the URL myself, it gets right there

I love the clean lines & design ~ love the colors, although I found the text a bit hard to read, so background may need to be a shade lighter

Laughing at the "kandel" scents ~ I hope that's a hit for you :) Only thing that jumped out at me (other than the intentionally misspellings) was OUNSES

http://www.tatteredsilk.com

Hey thanks! I am not sure of the error situation. I will need to check into that. I will also work on the text and or the background color.

The "ounses" is intentionally mis-spelled since it is on that page. I thought of putting some kind of a "spelling note" stating that the words were intentionally mis-spelled, but then I thought a bit about it and thought, naw, that is the whole idea.

Thanks so much for your input!

Interesting. My first thought was that it's very nice, very classy. Then I got into it and thought it was something out of Deliverance.

I guess I just don't get the joke.

LOL

Your names and descriptions are a little over the top. I don't think they go with the style of your site. I think you might have some confused potential customers when they see what type of candles you sell. But in all it is very creative.

Mindy

....thought it was something out of Deliverance.

I guess I just don't get the joke.

No shit.

That hurt my head, honest... and I live too close to deliverance for comfort as it is.

I think for these to work you're going to have to do what Mindy suggested and pick a theme and stick with it. You're trying to build a brand here I'd assume?

Besides that... Billy Joe Bob Gump ain't got no perty silks in his trailer house. :P

I can't imagine even stooping to that level where I would feel comfortable making/advertising that kind of mess!! I can understand having a 'theme' and all, but those scent names and descriptions are just plain WRONG! I am not trying to be hurtful, but in my opinion you may want to clean it up a bit and tone it down some. There is definitely a way to get the point across without being disgusting.

The image you put forth in your product directly reflects what people see in you. jmo

I did think the main page and the tattered silk product page were decent. ;)

I couldn't have said it better myself.

It took me forever to read all the descriptions... basically having to dummy myself down a bit.

I can't imagine even stooping to that level where I would feel comfortable making/advertising that kind of mess!! I can understand having a 'theme' and all, but those scent names and descriptions are just plain WRONG! I am not trying to be hurtful, but in my opinion you may want to clean it up a bit and tone it down some. There is definitely a way to get the point across without being disgusting.

The image you put forth in your product directly reflects what people see in you. jmo

I did think the main page and the tattered silk product page were decent. ;)

I agree... most of the sire is very clean and classy. Then there's that page :undecided I see you have a trademark symbol there so I'm guessing you've put a lot of work into it. Maybe you could make it a separate website. Then you could still have both without them clashing....

Some of the Trashy ones are cute, some are just a bit too much. The Arson one... I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole.

Thanks for all of your ideas and inputs. There are 2 different Candle Companies. The parent company, Tattered silk and the sister company, Trayler Trash Kandels.

With the reaction of the last few posts, it appears it may be best to split the company and have different sites and link to each other.

Each of my candle lines sell to all different "types" of people. The Trayler Trash does well with the "uppity" type, and Tattered Silk sells well to those with "images" that are less than desirable (both are selling to oppsite of what one may think).

So that should tell me that I need to create a site for each type and not to piggy back them.

I will put on the first post "WARNING" may offend some.

You've obviously put a lot of thought and effort into writing these descriptions. A possible problem customers might have though, is that these descriptions are rather "abstract" and don't really tell what scent it is they are getting. Unless they are just buying it for the cute name, I'd be afraid they'd be dissatisfied with the scent they ended up with.

Each of my candle lines sell to all different "types" of people. Trayler Trash to "uppity" types and my Tattered Silk to those with "images" that are less than desirable.

Trailer Trash is uppity? The names should be reversed. Tattered Silk is elegant. Might be me though.

I would like to know the scents of the Trayler Trash Kandels, when I read each scent description they don't give me the idea that they smell good. For example I get "Whacky Tobacky" or E.D. (I guess this is a candle that isn't scented), but what fragrance is "Pune Tang" or "Mornin After"?

For us that may not be familiar and might need simple explanation maybe you could have it listed as:

E.D. (lamens term or fragrance name, unscented)- then your description

or

Mornin After (Sex On the Beach)- then description

That is just my :2cents:, overall I like the Tattered Silk page.

Good luck to ya!

I get what you are trying to achieve, but I'm not sure it will be successful. I get tattered silk being the less than "perfect, slightly askew" upscale appeal. But you are mixing too much Larry the Cable Guy with it. Your website has an elegance to it but when you get to the substance of it, it's quite distasteful, even for the beer swilling, wife-beater crowd.

I added the scent to the names. I am strongly thinking of splitting out two Companies with a link to each other.

Thank you to those who have been constructive and not destructive.

That looks good, now I understand your version and description it makes "scents" now....lol!!

Gawd, I hate when someone calls people 'Trailor Trash' simply because they live in a trailor. I'm probably one of the least PC people I know, but that term really offends me.

No, I don't live in a trailor and honestly I don't know anyone who does so I'm not taking it personally. I do feel sorry for decent people and children who get called trash because of where they live.

Okay, that has probably been boiling up for awhile and I do feel better now.

Your two themes don't go together. Silk seems elegant and the 'trash' one is more country. Hillbilly if you will. I would make two different sites and I wouldn't link the two together. If I lived in a trailor and clicked on your 'silk' site and saw you making fun of the 'trash' part, I'd never buy from you. I'm sure it would turn a lot of people off too.

Just my -----> :2cents:

Gawd, I hate when someone calls people 'Trailor Trash' simply because they live in a trailor. I'm probably one of the least PC people I know, but that term really offends me.

No, I don't live in a trailor and honestly I don't know anyone who does so I'm not taking it personally. I do feel sorry for decent people and children who get called trash because of where they live.

Okay, that has probably been boiling up for awhile and I do feel better now.

Your two themes don't go together. Silk seems elegant and the 'trash' one is more country. Hillbilly if you will. I would make two different sites and I wouldn't link the two together. If I lived in a trailor and clicked on your 'silk' site and saw you making fun of the 'trash' part, I'd never buy from you. I'm sure it would turn a lot of people off too.

Just my -----> :2cents:

Amen - on both points.

I don't like trailer trash wording either. People would be offended. Even those who could afford to buy your candles. You are talking about children and their mothers and fathers who might be trying but no matter how hard they try things are bad. Esp today more and more are losing jobs and moving from a very nice home to trailers. Some marriages are falliing apart and kids are being hurt.

I am late in seeing what all was on the site but really I would just go for a simple tasteful candle website. From what some have said I would scan your site and just move on. Not even hesitate. I am really not sure about you getting orders on it. JMO.:undecided

LynnS