White Flecks In Soap

SueH

I made 2 batches of CP soap 2 months ago, one with BCN's Very Vanilla and the other with their Eucalyptus Spearmint. They both turned out nice but have white flecks in them(can't post a pic). I'll post the recipe which is what I've been using for over a year and haven't had this happen before. I've tongue tested and used the soap with no burning. Could it be the Palm Oil or the fact that it was a bitterly cold day when I made them? I wait till my oils and lye water are RT before mixing.TIA!!

12 oz Canola Oil

18 oz Coconut Oil

32 oz Olive Oil

28 oz Palm Oil

26 oz water

12.5 oz lye

I think sometimes it can be the FO not mixed in well? That is a guess...I have had that happen in non palm recipes. I strain my lye and there is no zap. It seems to happen to FO's that tend to accelerate. It's happen to me only about 5 times, but one just recently when I tried BB sleeping angels...

Sometimes they are just bubbles trapped in the soap. Be very careful if you use a stickblender, if you get air in the bell you can get those tiny white bubbles in your soap. Without pictures it's impossible to know.

I think some find the culprit to be the palm, but if the white spots zap/zing your tongue ... it's lye.

I've been finding white spots so to speak in some of my soaps that I have been using palm oil in. Just seems to be the palm oil soaps though.

Did you melt all of the hard oils completely? I always do but sometimes they will go to a slurry when the other oils are added and really cool them down. Everything is fine when I add the lye water but I make sure to incorporate all of the oils together before adding lye water.

I did have that happen once on my third batch and it was actually very tiny pieces of the lard that that resolidified too fast when oils can together. I soap too cool and the lye water didn't remelt the slurry fully. The specs were tiny and there were only one or two of them. It wasn't lye, it was lard.:confused:

Fire