Reusing a container for a melt??

Hello! I have a customer that called me today wanting to know if I can use a container that she has (that had a candle in it that has been burned out) to fill with wax for a melt for her. She doesn't want any wicks, just the wax to put on her candle warmer. I know that it is not wise to reuse a container for wicked candles because glass containers can weaken over the course of their usage. What do you think? I don't want to be held liable for accidents, but at the same time, I don't think candle warmers get warm enough to cause problems. Any feedback would be great!

Actually, there is a big problem because if you didn't give her the container, how do you know how many times it's been refilled?

Once glass has been heated, it can weaken in areas so it's more prone to crack.

If you have product liablity insurance good, but I won't do it even if it's a jar I poured. You don't know how they burned the candle that was in it and if the marathon burned it, the jar can crack and you might have a major problem on your hands.

I have tons of customers ask me to do it and I say NO! And if you do it for one you'll do it for all the customers!

I agree with Fire on this one.....TOTALLY!! IMO, if anyone does refills, they should have darn good insurance, cuz it can be a major liability! I have had customers refuse to purchase, cuz I won't refill, and that is fine with me.

All cracks are not noticeable, what are you going to do if it has a hairline crack in it that you can't see? Glass can develop cracks at any given moment due to the heat and the cold that happens naturally during the burning and the non-burning stages.

I have had many customers tell me that they use their canning jars for years, so if they can do that, then why don't I do the refills? I don't use canning jars for my candles, however I explain it to them this way. If you take a 16 oz canning jar and can some green beans, you are generally under pressure for about 20 minutes. Yes, these jars get very hot when canning, so we will average this out to 1 hour, since I don't know the exact temp while it is under pressure. I am giving plenty of room for error here. Now, depending on the wax used for a candle, melt point ranges from 100-140. So when you light it, the temp gets up there, ESPECIALLY the further down the jar you get. If that baby isn't wicked properly, it can get even hotter. Ok, I am getting off track here, lol! So I take this 16 oz jar, and pour a candle into it. It takes (bear with me, cuz I don't make these but I will use a rough time frame) 100 hours to burn it completely down to the 1/2 inch level. Then this customer wants to come back for a refill. Ok, I see that you reuse your canning jars but do you actually use them 100 times each??? There is NO WAY, that jar will get stress or cracks before you can use them for more than a few years. Now remember, I gave you an hour for canning, and compared to a 100 hour burn time with a candle, that makes a huge difference.

MOST of my customers say that they can only use their jars a few years without incident (we all know what a mess a broken jar in a canner is like), but when I explain it to them this way, they see my point.

I just think that we have enough liability to worry about when we make our own candles. We need to properly test and wick them in order to get the best burn. How do we guarantee a good burn if we refill a container that we have never wicked before? I know that you get a feel for diameter with wick sizes, but can anyone actually gurantee the same time of burn that they would with a container that is tested? We depend on the customers to burn the candles per the warning label, we all know that most don't do this. That is a chance that they take, however, when we add to it by refilling, I think it is an accident waiting to happen. Unknown usage of a container, plus the customers that don't burn properly = A HUGE LAWSUIT in my opinion.

Sorry this is such a book, but I am running into alot of this in my area. Peeps think they are cornering the market this way, but I am really noticing that most people respect you and your products more when you take the time to explain to them the hazards that can and will develop when doing refills. They see that you are doing everything that you can to sell them a safe product, and for me, it has helped boost my sales. Just my nickel :tongue2: