Good idea or horrible idea?

brydean

I am so terrible at self-promotion, I absolutely hate doing it. But, I really do want to get my products out there. I do really well in the few places I'm in.

So I was thinking of making up a small sample bag, containing a sample of body butter and 1 or 2 small soap samples. Then attatching them to the really nice brochure dh(graphic designer) designed for me, along with an introductory letter. Then either just dropping them off in stores for them to look at when they have time. Or possibly even mailing them.

Does this seem like a reasonable idea or no??

Thanks!!

Depending on the amount of sample you want to get out there, and the $$$ you want to invest, it could turn out to be a good idea. I'd suggest researching who you want to give the samples to first thou, look around the stores and whatnot to see if you'd be filling a void.

I agree that it's a good idea, but do not, do not, do not mail your samples out. You've got to get your face recognized with your product. you'll get far more attention that way. Mailing them makes them think you're lazy.

• 2 weeks later...

I was having the same idea, I have read on a couple other boards that mailing is a good idea.

When I worked marketing and our boss insisted we "stop by" clients when we were in certain areas on other appointments, it really never went well for me. Even when we would take promo things or whatnot, they were too busy, and kind of brushed us off. One company actually ended up not going with us for their staffing because our manager made a coworker, Kate, go visit one too many times and she found our in her face tactics annoying. Which, ultimately, lost us thousands of dollars in profits and lost kate her 1500 dollar monthly bonus had she been able to retain that client using her gut instinct. (man I miss that job, when I think of all the bonuses haha..staying home with the kids is awesome, but my only form of bonus here is a few thank yous and i love yous.)

In the end of my time there, I would just lie and drop our promo stuff with a secretary and drive around a bit to kill the extra time or hang out longer with the few managers who didnt actually work.

This is a completely different ballpark, of course, with candles than with industrial staffing marketing, and I haven't decided yet how to proceed with my marketing, whether mailing or stopping in. I of course want to see the inside of any store I would want my products in, so maybe I am thinking stop in, gauge the busy-ness of the store that day, and if it seems they dont have time for you or you would be a burden, purchase something small and when you mail reference that you were there, you bought (said item so they know you aren't lying) and you understand how busy they are. But if you are mailing, I would say followup calls are very important. I am looking for a program that is similar to the one we used at the agency I used to work for, to keep track of marketing calls. I would say definately follow up a week after the mailing to make sure they received the info, no pressure. Just like you wanted to make sure it didnt get lost in the mail. If they filed it, they filed it oh well. But then maybe 3 more weeks or something call again, mail another letter, whatever. Keep your name in their mind and eventually they may want to order a sampler or let you stock on cosignment or something with the plan of rolling over into wholesale. I dont know.

I completely back your idea of sending samples out though, I am planning to do that too. I know some people think thats a waste of money, but if I had a store I would want to test everything I would stock. Kill them with kindness, and take the upfront loss. You get one account, you make your money back. And that sample candle/lotion/whatever isnt going to fit in the filing cabinet so even if it sits on the boss's desk for a month, she's seeing your product often enough she may eventually just give you a call.

Let me know what you decide and how it goes for you. On a personal note, I'm on bedrest, grounded from candle making(and everything else) because I had a bunch of seizures (i thought they were migraines. . .i have kids, kids make people's heads hurt, it made sense to me.) and my meanie hubby won't let me do anything til after my surgery and recovery. i told him they released me from the hospital after a week stay, ive got to do something until i go back for surgery. and he said to read a book. luckily, i only have one store with products stocked right now and i was able to put all else on hold, and with the stock i have on hand i should be able to fill any of their restock orders okay.

i will be living vicariously through these message boards haha as long as he doesnt catch me on the computer. :o

Ok, read quick while hubby isn't looking!:tiptoe: LOL

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the idea of checking out the stores and just playing it by ear according to how busy they are.

I don't mind the cost upfront, I figure if I can get a couple of accounts then it will more than make up for it.

There are a couple of small towns around here that I think might have the right kind of stores. I just need to figure out what to do with the kids for a few hours, so I can go check them out.

I made the mistake of taking them with me once! Never again! :P Of course I have to admit, the store i was visiting that day is now my best seller! LOL

Thanks!

The in person thing is fine and dandy but I have a store and I hate when salesmen walks through the door I just flat do no have time to deal with them. I do not mind on the phone as long as they are not pushy( I can talk on the phone and still do what ever I was doing when they called). I do how ever get a big kick out of samples sent to me I look at them check out the companies web site or brouse through the catalog when I get a minute or two.

This is just my two cents worth

I haven't done a lot of this, but I sent out a few letters introducing myself and company and what I made. In the letter I mentioned customization and that samples were available upon request and would be personally delivered at a mutually agreeable time. It worked out quite well for the first time...I'm getting ready to try it again in a different area. At least this way, you're not out the cost of samples that may get tossed if they are not interested.

The in person thing is fine and dandy but I have a store and I hate when salesmen walks through the door I just flat do no have time to deal with them. I do not mind on the phone as long as they are not pushy( I can talk on the phone and still do what ever I was doing when they called). I do how ever get a big kick out of samples sent to me I look at them check out the companies web site or brouse through the catalog when I get a minute or two.

This is just my two cents worth

Hi Everyone I'm new to Craft Server.

I totally agree with this statement as a former store owner. If a Sales Representative came into the store I would request they leave the information/samples and request that they give me a call or I would contact them. If I were interested I would schedule a time to meet with the Representative. What worked best for me was receiving samples/information in the mail.

Oh and make sure your product is a fit for that particular store.

I like this info because the first year I sent things out I got no replies.Well I should know to follow up because I have been doing charity and non profit work for years and you have to make follow up calls.In the real world you like for them to call but they really want to see how interested you are in either wanting the donation or in the case of a business you will be consistent. I do have a couple distributors but looking for more business.This is the way to go. Send samples and also make follow up calls.

Good to hear from a business person to help us understand. Right now I am looking for a signature jar. I do the plain simple ones now but want to do something unique and different to go in stores.

Thank You for this post.I have been getting things in order for a few months. Just trying to see where I want to head for the business.This area I live in is hard to sell alot. So must move a different direction but still in my state and others.The 2 distributors are in different states.

Going into my 4th year of candlemaking and much more confident with myself and my products.

LynnS

• 1 month later...

I have a store. I hate salesmen, and I am one. DAH! I love it when they leave me samples and offer to call back. if I am interested then I will talk to them. Just leave all the info you can. You got to have a reason that your product is better. When I go out to sell, I leave them a candle, and the facts. I ask them to light it right there. If not, they take them home and not burn them for months. Once they light it up and it smells wonderful, you got um. Most of the time, they buy before I leave. Works for me.

I am not good at promoting my own products, so I recruited family to do it for me. First my Mom (or Aunt) goes in with a sample, they always have a few samples in their purse (tealights in clear baggies with my label on them). If they really like a certain scent, and they show interest, out to the car for the full size jar for them to sample. So far I have made the $ back on every sample, if they don't want to purchase wholesale, they at least purchase candles for themselves. Then they make an appointment for me to come in (Mom is in MD, I'm in NC) on a weekend I'm in town, or I follow up with a call. This helps me to already have a name, and an interest - so I don't do the dreaded cold call.