What the heck did I do??????

OK I obviously did something wrong with my candles today. I was making french vanilla. Used 4630. heated to 175, poured at 150 and the candles have HUGE sink holes in the middle along the wick. I have never had this happen before. I want to throw the candles across the room right now. I have been walking back and forth in front of them and cussing at them the last ten minutes and decided to come to you guys.

4630 is not suppose to require repours. I searched some posts on here and think I know what happened because I poured an evergreen tree the same way, except that I poured it at 160* and it did not have sink holes at all. I was a dummy. So in other words, I poured French Vanilla too low. I'm off to go bang my head on the counter and try again!

Don't bang your head on your counter you might tip over your jars!!!! The walls work a lot better.... believe me.... I am speaking by personal experience. That's good you figured it out though. It's funny how even the smallest detail effects the candle overall. I am learning that on a daily basis. Thanks for the info, by the way, now I know to pour 4630 at 160 when I start using it again.

Just a suggestion...why don't you try IGI 4636 (new J50), you can pour at 185 and it comes out with smooth and shiny tops! No sink holes, no problems! I heat to 185 and pour into room temp jars or slight heated jars to prevent wet spots.

I tried the 4630 and just hated it, IMO. Sank real bad and didn't look pretty to me....:undecided

Gave it up and went back to 4636.

Carrie

You don't have to re-do your candle and it has nothing to do with using a vanilla FO. Poking relief holes does help, but if you end up with a sink hole, just open up the hole a little larger and then go over the top of the candle in a sweeping motion with your heat gun until the melted wax fills in the hole. The top should come out nice and smooth and you'd never know you ever had a sink hole to begin with.

You don't have to re-do your candle and it has nothing to do with using a vanilla FO. Poking relief holes does help, but if you end up with a sink hole, just open up the hole a little larger and then go over the top of the candle in a sweeping motion with your heat gun until the melted wax fills in the hole. The top should come out nice and smooth and you'd never know you ever had a sink hole to begin with.

;) Yep, what she said.

You can salvage your candles by melting them with a heat gun. I don't get sink holes any longer, but back when I did, the heat gun was a life saver.

One of your problems coud be the cooling rate. If they cool too fast, the shrink rate is greater. Try covering them with a towel to keep the heat inside.

I place mine in a cooling box I make from styrofoam insulation board. Put the lid on, and the candles slow cool. Haven't had a sink hole in years.

Fredron