Tart packaging

I've tried really hard to find something enviro-friendly for this... thought about waxed tissue paper, origami paper, regular waxed paper (or scale paper that butchers use) cloth, etc. ... sadly I'm going with the ziplock bags for now. I think it is important for customers to be able to see the product (which puts all those other ideas out the window... the scale paper you can kinda see through, but not really). You can buy the ziplock bags in 3x3 size, which is perfect for a single tart, and then we put 5 of the same scent together in a 4x6 size (not sure if they will sell, but they fit that way and it saves a little bit!) - then attach logo on the front and warning label on the back.

good luck - let me know if you think of a better way!!!

Jan

I haven't found any yet, but I am sure there are some sort of like rice papers on the net... they would be clear enough to see the color of the product.

As for hard plastic zip bags... arghhhh :o.... I'd suggest offering a refill or refund of some sort if they are returned, or encourage your customers for additional uses for the bags after they are empty.

Sorry if I am over zealous about Eco matters... but we only have one planet! :embarasse

Oxymoron defined:

"I'm new to candlemaking, I'm ready to sell"

Sorry if I offended anyone with my question. I guess some people have nothing better to do than to sit around and cut people down by calling them morons! I'll be praying for you. I have worked very hard over the past several weeks to get over 100 candles made and ready to sell. Yes, I'm new to it, and yes, I'm ready to start selling! Sorry if my excitement upsets you...

An oxymoron (plural oxymorons or, more rarely, oxymora) is a figure of speech that combines two normally contradictory terms

She wasn't calling you a Moron. She was basically saying you were contradicting yourself since you state you just started making candles and are ready to sell them.

You are saying you are new to this. Have you done any testing? Have you gotten liability insurance in case something happens to some one or their home because of your candles? Have you gotten your business license and tax id#? There is a lot more to making a candle than pouring some scented wax into a container and sticking a wick in. I'm not trying to shoot you down but want to make sure you are really ready to sell.

:laugh2:

Actually, you should probably pray for yourself and anyone who buys your candles. Working for "weeks" is nowhere near long enough unless you've done precious little else besides pour and test. How many scents are you offering? Maybe, just maybe, you could have perfected one scent in a few weeks time. Most candle makers, myself included, spend months and months, even years finding the perfect combination of container, wax, dye, wick and scent. The process is repeated for each container, wax, dye, wick, scent combination. It is, as Teresa so aptly put it, an "oxymoron" to be new to candlemaking and ready to sell.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my question. I guess some people have nothing better to do than to sit around and cut people down by calling them morons! I'll be praying for you. I have worked very hard over the past several weeks to get over 100 candles made and ready to sell. Yes, I'm new to it, and yes, I'm ready to start selling! Sorry if my excitement upsets you...

No one listens anyway so why do we keep preaching.....:(

Seems like there is at least one a week or so on here lately.

I gave away hundreds of candles and soap and went through LOTS of money to get where I am. I KNOW I have good candles and soap.

You will never convince some people that their reputation is on the line. Just remember this

GOOD news travels SLOW and BAD news travels FAST.

tootie

Wow! You sure learn fast.....guess I'm just a slow learner. My DH tells me I'm too much of a perfectionist. I spent 4 months just reading the boards, learning all I could, before I even decided on which wax I wanted to use because I couldn't afford to waste any money sampling everything. I spent waaaaay more time learning about tartmaking than you have on making candles. I've only perfected some of the scents I sell in candles.

The rest I get from a seasoned wholesaler until I can perfect a full line of candles which I know will be safe and burn properly. I really don't see how you have had time to test any "quality" tarts properly, much less any candles unless you started looooong before you joined this board. When you start getting complaints on your products and have ruined your reputation, you will realize you should have waited and learned much more. No one is brilliant enough to make safe, quality products as quickly as you appear to have done.

I just don't see how you could of tested candles and melts within weeks. Did you start making candles/melts before you joined this forum? How many scents have you tested?

Although Melts are fairly easy to make, it should take at least a week to see if the FO works well in the Melt. Maybe I'm just odd, but if my melts don't last at least 3 days to a week I don't carry that scent.

Mindy

Just a bit back on track--

Someone mentioned being environmentally friendly, and I totally agree. I'd been using shrink wrap and such and have decided to go with paper as much as possible. While there could pry be a debate on which of the two is better... paper vs plastic as far as the manufacturing of it... imo, paper will win every time for the simple fact it's biodegradeable.

I just wish there were better options in packaging that allows the use of paper while still letting people be able to see your product. For now, I make my own paper bags with a window. It's working for now, but I'm definately keeping my options open as well as my eyes for new ideas that take less time.

YAY... you get the eco award of the day! *getdown*

I haven't tried it yet for tarts, but I'm going to try to find something similar to wax paper (as it is semi clear, at least lets you see the color), for tart packs. I am thinking rice paper, but haven't found a suitable supplier.

Just a bit back on track--

Someone mentioned being environmentally friendly, and I totally agree. I'd been using shrink wrap and such and have decided to go with paper as much as possible. While there could pry be a debate on which of the two is better... paper vs plastic as far as the manufacturing of it... imo, paper will win every time for the simple fact it's biodegradeable.

I just wish there were better options in packaging that allows the use of paper while still letting people be able to see your product. For now, I make my own paper bags with a window. It's working for now, but I'm definately keeping my options open as well as my eyes for new ideas that take less time.

Please pray for me too while you're at it.

Ouch.... such hostility! :cry2:

If you think being honest is the same thing as hostility, wait until your customer's attorney gets ahold of you.

And before you get your feathers ruffled thinking someone is calling you names, you might plug words you don't know the meaning of into dictionary.com.

As far as how to wrap tarts, customers won't buy if they can't smell what's in the package. They must see and smell what they are buying.

Prayer is a good thing. Please add me to your growing list.

WAIT A MINUTE HERE.... I wasn't the one who started the post, so why are you saying such things to me. And I was joking by saying "such hostility." :undecided

If you think being honest is the same thing as hostility, wait until your customer's attorney gets ahold of you.

And before you get your feathers ruffled thinking someone is calling you names, you might plug words you don't know the meaning of into dictionary.com.

As far as how to wrap tarts, customers won't buy if they can't smell what's in the package. They must see and smell what they are buying.

Prayer is a good thing. Please add me to your growing list.

I haven't tried it yet for tarts, but I'm going to try to find something similar to wax paper (as it is semi clear, at least lets you see the color), for tart packs. I am thinking rice paper, but haven't found a suitable supplier.

How about Glassine? Rice paper seems so delicate.