Ancient Chinese Secret, Huh?

Do you folks have lots of people asking you things like, "How do you get the smooth tops?" Or, "How do you sell them at this price?" I was just wondering what is the right response, besides "NO DEAL, Kimosabe!" What if someone has information you want as well? Have you ever negotiated information before? I was just wondering your thoughts.

I'd tell you what I say but it's a secret! ;) LOL

Seriously I don't experience yet since my products are still in early testing. My husband asks me but he never remembers what I say anyway! ;)

I'd teach people how to make candles. I love making them and I love sharing my craft. People have different philosophies when it comes to creating something. One is keep your trade a sercret so no one can copy from you. Works for some especially in the patent office.

However my philosophy is what goes around comes around. Meaning the more you give the more you gain and that includes knowledge. I don't plan on taking any hush hush secret candle recipes with me when I die. That's just me.

How do I sell them at price?: I buy wholesale.

How do I get my tops so smooth?: I use a heat gun.

See not so hard.

Shoot - sharing my "secrets" and learning other's is why I spend so much time on this site in the first place!!!

I've seen 'info' being sold on Ebay that I'm sure anyone could find on here or elsewhere....

Exchanged for free? Sure! Seen it here as well as elsewhere...

Bottom line, even with those supposed 'secrets,' you still have to test the heck out of any candle you make... down to the scent, wax and wick! :D Or you could fudge it and try to use someone else's combos, not realizing they may not work for you, therefore causing yourself to own a bad rep. Just MHO.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with exchanging info on tips and wick, wax and scent combos... it is, however, an 'at your own risk' type deal... if you don't test, test, test, no guarantee you're going to be happy with your product, and definitely no guarantee your customer will be.

I actually considered selling 'candle kits' on Ebay, but really, there's so much involved and it's really not all that simple. So let the Michael's and AC Moore's take the liability, I say. Me, I just like makin candles...

Making candles is about doing what you love. And unless you take someone by the hand and walk them through all the testing and temperatures and tips and tricks they will have only a portion of the formula.

Making great candles is not just about one or two fantastic trade secrets, it's about baby sitting and tweaking and wringing your hands and cleaning up spilled dye, finding creative answers to new problems and constant learning.

So to share what we know can either inspire someone to love candle making as much as we do or it can give them a new appreciation for all the blood sweat and tears that have gone into them.

to share what we know can either inspire someone to love candle making as much as we do or it can give them a new appreciation for all the blood sweat and tears that have gone into them.

I absolutely agree with that statement.

Candlemaking is a HUGE investment of time and money. Just letting people in help's them understand that and the most likely end result would be that they look to buy more handmade candles (as opposed to cheapy retail imports) rather than put the hardwork and dollars into making their own.

I think that most people that inquire about how our candles are made are already hobbiests themselves or just curious about the process. .

just my :2cents:

I visited a potential wholesale customer once and although she did purchase candles wholesale, she asked me numerous times about making candles as she thought it was something she would like to do herself. I just felt very weird.

Kim

I've definitely experienced "fishing" for knowledge and secrets from my candle customers over the years. Usually from the ones that think candle making is really easy and they could save a lot of money just doing it themselves! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Does it seem to any of you that you encounter a lot of people that falsely assume that candlemaking is extremely easy? I seem to run into that attitude all the time. Customers that are surprised to learn that candles are made using specific formulas, and not just throwing whatever is around in any amount into the candlepot! Or that there are different wick types and sizes, not just a one size fits all wick.

For example, a few years after I started making candles and learning the craft, I had a friend who thought it sounded like a great idea and would try it, too.

He took all of the store bought candles he had around his house, melted them together into a muddy brown, awful smelling mess, poured them into the biggest jar he could find and wicked it with......a SHOELACE!!!! I'm amazed he didn't set his house and his entire neighborhood ablaze. He really thought that was all you needed to do - pour any kind of wax and insert something resembling a wick.

Hi guys,

Primarily, I run classes. I often have people asking me how do do things without booking into a class....so here is what I do...

I BAFFLE then with such a long winded explanation that they have no idea (but they are left thinking they should)....

I go on about wicks, waxes, containers...pillars, blends, fragrances etc etc and then at the end of the saga throw my hands up and laugh about the work involved.

That stops them...because to THEN ask me more questions would be amazingly rude.....and for the odd few that do....I then say "It's all explained in workshops, it's too lengthy to explain here"

Cheers,

Hells

All depends on who it is -

If it's another candlemaker looking for an honest EXCHANGE of information ... no problem. It's a give and take benefiting both of us.

If it's someone who wants to learn ... I usually direct them to a supplier who can provide them with a kit and offer a support system.

All depends on who it is -

If it's another candlemaker looking for an honest EXCHANGE of information ... no problem. It's a give and take benefiting both of us.

I look forward to sharing with other chandlers but there is just no way I will teach a customer how to make their own candles. I have directed some to suppliers & forums.

i have alot of people asking me too... i simple say melt your wax add your color add your scent put wick in jar pour and presto...and they pretty much except that answer...now i have a few that get into more questions,but unless they do it they would not be able to understand the work that goes into each candle