Does elevation matter? Alan any input?

Hi Everyone! I've moved from one state to another and now, have found myself up in the mountains......it's beautiful up here but I have noticed something......my candles that I spent so very long perfecting my formula are not burning here as they did where I came from. Does elevation have anything to do with this? If so, in what way......Alan.....perhaps you could answer this one as I faguely remember you mentioning something about this years ago. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

This is just an opinion, so I'm not sure if it will help or not. But I would say yes, it would affect the burn because, in higher elevations there is less oxygen than in lower elevations. I do know it affects peoples breathing, cars exhaust and such, so I would assume it would affect the burning of candles.

:)

Higher altitudes has less oxygen and yes it does take oxygen to make fire burn, in this case the wick. But I don't know what you have to do differently for candles in higher altitudes to burn properly.

Maybe you could talk to someone in the heating business about flames and altitude to get some info.

I have an idea that there probably IS a bit of difference, but I am thinking it's not very notable. I've tried to research it some, and I'm not finding much info, if anyone does, I'd be interested to know too. I lived in Colorado for years and never noticed any difference in my candle burning, but that was before I made them myself, and didn't pay that much attention to those things ;)

• 1 year later...

Bumping this to see if anyone else has input. I found only four posts related to the search "altitude + burn" and the new CS palm burn tests have my interest piqued.

Three to four hour burn tests on my CS palm pillar have not netted me nearly the same consumption rate as others I've seen recently here. I am at around 1,500 feet above sea level and can't think of any other reason for it. I'm even burning an unscented pillar, which I assumed would have a higher consumption rate in general since there's no FO to consume.

Any thoughts?