Changing from business to hobby

debscent

There are days when I wish I go out and run and play... I think we all have them. Doing the same old thing day in and day out, blah, it gets boring.

I think you have to try something new or a new way of doing it to keep yourself motivated. I tried several new things last years and almost all of them are working out. (I found I despise incense even if it is my own.)

I have made soaps for over 26 years and it is so boring to me. I am not sure if I will be able to force myself to gear up this year. It is such a yucky mess.

The very thought of having to go back to a regular job and answer to somebody else, that is what gets me moving. I just don't think I could do it again. I love being on my own and can't imagine having to take a different job.

We have looked at several other businesses as hubys is kinda slow right now. So we may move in that direction. They are selling out in two years, so I have lots to do before then. :)

I can see why people espcially those with children at home would want to go back to a regular job. Your children are only home with you for a short while, (yes I know some days it doesn't seem like that) and you should put them first. It really won't be all that long and you will have all the time in the world to clean house, start a business, etc.

I try to spend as much time with my grandkids as possible and regret every moment I was to busy for my own children... They are all grown now and I remember all the times I was to busy cleaning etc, to do things with them. I would go back to a regular job if my business was keeping me from enjoying my kids while they were still at home and wanted me to be with them.

Be good to your kids as they will pick your nursing home, :)

I'm hanging in there. I thought about it, but I am more the pessimist. We're having a better show than I thought this weekend and that's a good thing. Not sure what this year will bring or not bring, but as much as I would like to go back to school and/or further my education, I can't do that since my real job has too many demands that won't allow for me to be gone on certain days.

I went from business to hobby and am fine with it. It wasn't too hard a decision because it was supplementary income and I had secured a new job. It was more of a relief, honestly, because it was just getting to be too much for me. Now I'm back to a place where I don't *have* to make anything if I don't want to, and when I do, I can do it for fun - on my own time.

I wonder how much you can make as a hobby to keep it legal. Of course if you are not using a number, who would know? They cheat us, maybe we can get them back. Ha! We don't do shows anymore. No money. Most of ours are going out selling and fundraisers. I may think about it. I would love to quit the paperwork too. But there are some site that you can't use without a tax ID. If you have a tax ID, you have paperwork. Isn't this right?

I wonder how much you can make as a hobby to keep it legal. Of course if you are not using a number, who would know? They cheat us, maybe we can get them back. Ha! We don't do shows anymore. No money. Most of ours are going out selling and fundraisers. I may think about it. I would love to quit the paperwork too. But there are some site that you can't use without a tax ID. If you have a tax ID, you have paperwork. Isn't this right?

What???

I have always kept mine as a hobby...and love it..

My family and friends, buy from me, paying me just enough

to cover the materials.

That enables me to keep making more..:)

My family loves my soap and candles..

And as a hobby, there are times, I wish I could make more..

But you only have so much family..lol

Someday I may branch out into like...Etsy or Artfire..but I don't

think I would ever want a store...

But haveing a Website...you only have to put up, what you have available..

But then again, you will have to have insurance,

and keep those books so Uncle Sam can get his share..lol

If you sell in the State of Texas, you have to have a Tax ID and pay Sales tax. If you live in the USA, you have to report and pay taxes on all money earned. Not sure what you are asking (suggesting?) Carole

In the State of Kentucky you don't have to have a Tax ID if you are selling at craft shows. You have to remit a form with the sales tax owed at the end of the show. In the USA you can deduct hobby expenses up to the amount earned (in effect, you didn't earn anything).

The advantages of being a hobby are not having the serious record keeping required as a business (I still need to keep track of purchases for pricing info and such), but the disadvantage is no tax deductions for a loss. This was not a full time job for me. It was something I loved to do and it was getting to be more 'work' than I wanted. I can still sell at a couple of shows a year (pay my taxes) and have fun doing it.

I have always kept mine as a hobby...and love it..

My family and friends, buy from me, paying me just enough

to cover the materials.

That enables me to keep making more..:)

My family loves my soap and candles..

And as a hobby, there are times, I wish I could make more..

But you only have so much family..lol

Someday I may branch out into like...Etsy or Artfire..but I don't

think I would ever want a store...

But haveing a Website...you only have to put up, what you have available..

But then again, you will have to have insurance,

and keep those books so Uncle Sam can get his share..lol

This is the same for me. I haven't done shows or sold to the public for a couple of years. My friends come over occasionally and go through any thing that I have made lately and pick out from there. They give me enough to cover cost. I have the most enjoyment out of making a beautiful product and giving it away than the pressure of trying to market and sell. As far as family and my closest friends, they can't wait for Christmas or their birthday-they always appreciate what they receive. Also my friends and family are my biggest critics. They are the most honest if I get a new scent in that they hate. Usually I do, too. Life is fun now, I do it when I want - not when I have to.