Am I wrong in my calculations?

OK, i was on another message board for candle making and they said this was not how they made candles. Some people that posted said that they generally just add one ounce of FO to one pound.I have been using 7% fo, wich calculates out to 1.12, and added it to 14.88. Who is correct?

I dunno if "wrong" is a good word to use in a case like this :)

Personally, when you start getting into measurements into the hundreths of an ounce it's getting a bit too OCD for me ;)

Generally I add 1oz of FO to 16oz of wax (all by weight) and call it a day. I've only had a few candles be "weak" and those were usually with FO's that are light to begin with, so I'll up those to 1.5oz per 16oz of wax.

Yes that means my 16oz apothecary jar actually ends up with 17oz total weight of product but that's ok by me :)

Not sure if that helps much but all I can recommend is to try to keep things as simple as possible.

There is no "correct". It will depend greatly on the FO load of your particular wax. Some waxes can hold 6%, usually harder waxes like pillars, some hold 10% like softer container waxes. Some are even higher and lower than those and everywhere in between. Even so, it's usually the recommended max load. You can use less if you're happy with the scent throw. Sometimes you can get away with adding a bit more though it often will bleed out and sometimes even hinder the scent throw.

It's kinda like cooking spaghetti... how much salt do you add? You may prefer a more or less salty taste than someone else ;)

Neither one of you is wrong. It is just how you want to do and also how accurate you want to be. I go by percent because it easier for me and I have less left over wax. The 1 ounce per pound method only really works if you are making even pounds. What happen when you need say 63 ounce for a batch. If you are adding 1 ounce per pound you have to add extra wax to get it done. I just have to calculate it. I have no wax left over. One ounce per pound people need to find something to do with the extra wax.

You do it the way you are most comfortable with.

you're right if you want to do it that way. it just awhole simpler to add 1-1.5oz oil to 16oz of wax. candle making is not rocket science, you do not have to make it so techincal. just try it & see. use whatever leftover wax to make a tart or two.