2 inch palm pillar

New palm pillar maker here. We got our 3 inch palm pillars wicked to where we want them, but having some questions about our 2 inch palm pillars. Since they are so narrow should you wick them to all consume melt or leave a rim. We have ours wicked with a csn 7 and it broke through immediately. Not sure how to go on this one.

What kind of palm wax are you ladies using? This could be important, because I think different palm waxes behave differently. I would like to know what wicks work for 2" inches pillars as well, I just ordered a few 2" molds and plan to make some 2" pillars for the first time. I use Starburst and Feather wax from Candlescience. I use a few drops of coloring and either nothing else or maybe 2% different essential oils, the results seems to be the same.

I used the CSN 7 wicks in my votives and I thought the wick was too large for them. I got a full MP pretty quickly and the glass would get fairly hot. I just ordered CSN 5 to try instead, but I was hoping the CSN 7 would work in the 2" pillars. I would be interested in knowing what works for people with both the votives and 2" pillars.

I use Candlewics palm and I tried and tried to successfully wick a 2" pillar and NEVER found the right wick. Either it blew out the sides or the flame was too small and died as it burned down.

That was several years ago and I got so frustrated that I finally put it on the back burner for another day ( which hasn't arrived yet:undecided )

Hope you have better luck than I did.

( Hey Fern, do you remember "those" days? I think it drove us both nuts for a while )

Check out the thread below for more 2" wicking info...

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61439&highlight=2+inch+pillar

May I reiterate that wicking 2 inchers is a PITA of gargantuan proportions? :laugh2:I'd rather wick a 6 inch candle than a 2 inch!!!

The CD7 I was testing in that thread worked out fine. Bet a CDN 6 woulda worked only I didn't have any...

I swear I did a search and did not come up with that thread! After much reading I'm pretty sure we are not putting this size pillar in our line. I wanted to make them for a swap that I'm in, but I don't think that is going to happen either. I didn't think about the melt pool being so small. Duh! They are so darn cute, you just can't light them-basically a useless candle!

I think they have a great look, but I have back-burnered testing them for now. I've been testing new containers and waxes lately and haven't been fooling with pillars as much - but I'll get back to them. I'm not givin' up on 'em yet! (could be read: glutton for punishment):tongue2:

I didn't think about the melt pool being so small. Duh! They are so darn cute, you just can't light them-basically a useless candle!

It's not that the MP is too small but that the larger wick can sometimes consume the wax faster creating a little bit of tunneling instead of blowing out the sides. I haven't done this with palm, just paraffin so the results might be different...dunno:undecided