Glitter Candles

This is how I do it. Use your heat gun and gently warm the surface of your candle. Sprinkle on the glitter lightly. I use micro extra fine. Holding the heat gun up in the air, SLOWLY lower it aiming it at your candle. If you start too close it will blow off the glitter. Keep moving the gun a little and lower it a little at a time. All of a sudden you will see the wax melt and "grab" the glitter. Remove the heat gun immediately. Now your glitter is "set".....my daughter, Amanda, figured this one out years ago...LOL Hope this helps, Donita .....Happy Halloween!

The glitter I am using now is made by Jones Tones. It is polyester. I guess you wouldn't want to burn a lot of it. I only sprinkly a little on and it doesn't seem to change the way the candle burns. It only takes a tiny amount to give a very "glittery" finish.....from what my customers tell me, they usually don't burn the "pretty" candles. I burn the "seconds" for me....the really ugly ones, I mean really ugly. But they do look good in the dark LOL You can Google " polyester glitter on candles" and come up with a bunch of info.....

www.jonestones.com They are in Pueblo Co. I pay $29.00 a pound. The little tiny vials are expensive and I started using a lot. Mine are called Hilite crystals. Happy Halloween.....:cakegirl: Couldn't find a Halloween one.

What about putting on the glitter with spray adhesive? Would you not be able to burn that? I have glitter candles that I bought last Christmas from Crate and Barrel and they are so pretty but the candles from Crate and Barrel aren't great - I was hoping make nice glitter candles that I can give as gifts and that will be safe to burn as well. How much glitter do you need for say a 3 x 4 pillar candles? Thanks for all your help.

I was in Dollar Dreams the other day picking up plain tea lights for my burners and saw hundreds of tea lights that were smothered in glitter of every color imaginable...even the wicks were heavily coated in glitter...and I'm not talking about the fine glitter...this was the big flakes of glitter. I instantly thought that it was a horrible fire hazard. Glitter is flammable, right?

Well....Once i have made a candle i softly heat it and then sprinkle glitter over it...this way the wax melts ever so slightly and then re sets with the glitter inside(well more around the sides than actually inside)

However....

It didn't look that good, so perhaps you should best follow a more experienced fellows advice!

If you check the glitter websites, they say that the glitter is made for craft projects including candles. Of course you can't assume that the FDA regulated their claims. I guess if you aren't sure, then don't use it. The FO's say they are made for candles too, but now we are all a bit worried that they may not be as innocent as thought.....hmmmmmmmm....must do some more research. Donita

I did one last night - I used adhesive spray and then I sprinkled on the glitter. It came out great. I then burned the candle for a few hours without a problem. I love how it looks and plan to give these to friends for Christmas. Thanks so much for all your help.

I would suggest testing those thoroughly! Spray adhesive very well may make toxic fumes that other may be sensative to. I'm glad yours burned fine, but it sounds like a very bad idea to me :shocked2:

I have to agree! Regular spray adhesive is very flammable, and contains compounds that you do not want to heat as they will produce fumes. I'm sure you do not want to put your friends and family at risk! Just burning for a few hours will not give you an adequate test result.......

I have to agree! Regular spray adhesive is very flammable, and contains compounds that you do not want to heat as they will produce fumes. I'm sure you do not want to put your friends and family at risk! Just burning for a few hours will not give you an adequate test result.......
Thanks, that spray adhesive stuff sounds great! Gotta give it a try.

The glitter that I got from two different candle wax suppliers is made from Polyester and is supposed to be for candles and costmetics. Bought some from Michael's too (called candle glitter). It looks exactly the same just doesn't say what its made from. HTH

Bought some from two different local candle wax suppliers. Its called Polyester Candle Glitter for candles and costmetics. They both said it has to be made out of polyester. The suppliers were out of gold so one of them told me to try Michael's. I found some there that said "Candle Glitter" in the candle supplies. It looks exactly the same as the stuff I bought from the suppliers. Its very find and soft. HTH.

Am I repeating myself or what?????? How do you delete your post?

as if we aren't HIGH enough....hehehe....they say that WD40 is completely safe, only 4 people in the world know the formula, so I wonder what it really is.....I use that daily too.....ick....can't escape those chemicals :tiptoe: (it does take crayon marks off of velvet furniture "ask me how I know") Donita

Before I used the spray adhesive I called and talked to someone and he said that the spray adhesive is ONLY flammable when it is wet, once it dries it is no longer flammable. He did not know if it would work on candles, he said he uses white glue, which I'm sure would work too but the spray is so much easier and I want to make a bunch to give as gifts. I will of course do more tests, but they sell these in the stores and I don't think they use heat guns, I think they use some kind of glue. I appreciate everyone's help, this site is so awesome. I've learned so much in a few days. Donita - I saw some of your candles and they are so gorgeous. I hope I can eventually get to where you are. Thanks again for all your help.