wicking silicone molds

Rae

I just received my first silicone molds this week from 3 different suppliers. Do you wick them the same way as metal molds? Do I drill a whole in the bottom for the wick? I emailed one of the suppliers about wicking 2 days ago and have not heard back from them. Any help would be appreciated. I can't wait to try them.

TIA:D

Rae

You shouldn't need it. That is, if the hole you created isn't too big. Don't use the wick pin to poke the hole, use something slightly narrower. I have a wire I use just for that. Can't remember for the life of me where I got it, but I've been using it to poke holes in silicone molds for years. After the hole is there, you can insert the wick pin. I've never had a leak.

You shouldn't need it. That is, if the hole you created isn't too big. Don't use the wick pin to poke the hole, use something slightly narrower. I have a wire I use just for that. Can't remember for the life of me where I got it, but I've been using it to poke holes in silicone molds for years. After the hole is there, you can insert the wick pin. I've never had a leak.

Thaks, Sara,

I will find a small wire. Does the putty and tape stick to silicono?

Rae

Yes Rai, ditto what Sara said, I should of been more specific. Try and make your hole with something slightly smaller than what your wicking would be.

I am not sure either where we got our rod and I have lots of them in various lengths. I use the rods as wick pins and keep them in while pouring, removing after the candle is unmolded and thread the wick thru after the candle is fully set.

This way I can ensure the wick is straight when inserted etc.

The hole where the rod goes thru self seals around rod, never had a leak. (However we do make our own molds, not sure how others would stand up to holding the rod.

We do have to "hold" the rod plum in some taller molds and do this with a craft stick with a small hole the rod threads thru and clip it with a peg if needed.

HTH

Wendy

OMG.........I love silicone molds. I poured all 5 and the 2 pillars are so detailed I haven't gotten them out yet. Looking to buy some more.

Thanks everybody for all your help. It worked great. Any particular mold favorites and/or suppliers? I don't know why I never tried the silicone molds.

Rae:D

To wick my silicone molds I use a larger darning needle. Thread the darning needle with the wick like you would thread and push it through the bottom of your mold, just be careful when pushing it through the bottom that you don't pick yourself with the needle it hurts l've learned from experience.

Pam F

I remember now, I made mine from an old wire hanger(s).

To wick my silicone molds I use a larger darning needle. Thread the darning needle with the wick like you would thread and push it through the bottom of your mold, just be careful when pushing it through the bottom that you don't pick yourself with the needle it hurts l've learned from experience.

Pam F

Pam, that's a great idea.