Sugar Scrub Formula Question - Pls voice your opinion

alevasseur

Hi All,

I am working on perfecting my sugar scrub. Actually, I like it the way it is but I get the opinion that others might want it a bit more of a slurry.

I use two cups of dark brown sugar with apricot kernel oil and jojoba oil. Just enough to make the brown sugar saturated but not at all liquidy.

As it is, that amount of oil can get pricey for two cups of sugar scrub! What all do you think of adding Soybean Oil to it to make it more of a slurry?

• 2 weeks later...

If you make it more of a slurry, it's going to be harder to get out of the jar and harder to keep in your hands.Have you tried making an emulsified scrub?Mine is really thick, yet ver creamy, maybe something like that would satisfy both yourself and those that are wanting something a little more "moist". ??Just curious, do your oils settle on the top so that you have to mix it into the sugar for each application?Maybe not since you said you're not using that much oil. I'm pretty sure you will get that though if you add more oils to make it into a slurry.Not sure if that would be a negative issue for YOU-I for one can't stand that, hence the reason I tried the emulsified, and loved it so much I never looked back! ;)

MICHI, do you have a sugar scrub recipe with emulsifier in it that I can use...If not I understand

I would love to find a recipe too...just something basic and then I would have a starting point to tweak and stuff but don't have a clue where to start :confused:

Sandy~WI

Here is my recipe:

60% sugar

12% Shea Butter

18.8% Oils

1.5% E Wax

5.4% Stearic

.7% Preservative

.6% Cetyl Alcohol

1% FO

This takes a full 24 hours to set up, so don't be fooled. Keep stirring it every now and then. After 24 hours, if it's too stiff, add some oil, too loose, add somesugar. I don't add the scent until the end.

Your Sugar Scrub sounds like my Salt Glow. To answer your question...yes, you can use soy oil. It is cheap and feels nice on the skin. I sell tons of my Salt Glow, so I keep my oils mixed up in a huge container. I do 70% Soy, 20% Almond, 10% Fractionated Coconut Oil. You can get 35lbs of pure Soy Oil at Sams Club for $21.....last yr it was $15!

quick question...I've never used or purchased cetyl alcohol and I was searching for it and went on Lotioncrafter's site and found this Cetyl Alcohol NF...is this what I should be purchasing? There was two differengt types on the site and wasnt sure...this was the other one listed...Cetearyl Alcohol NF (30/70)

I am assuming the first one is correct?

Sandy~WI

Yep, you want the cetyl alcohol NF. ;)

Here's ny recipe:

10% Ewax

8% Stearic

1% cetyl alcohol

64% liquid oils (castor, OO, coconut, avocado)

14% hard oils (shea, mango)

1% preservative

1-2% FO

I use white sugar and turbinado sugar. White sugar is added until consitency I want, and then I usually add about 1/2 c of the turbinado, just for a little bit extra exfoliation. ;)

Yep, you want the cetyl alcohol NF. ;)

Here's ny recipe:

10% Ewax

8% Stearic

1% cetyl alcohol

64% liquid oils (castor, OO, coconut, avocado)

14% hard oils (shea, mango)

1% preservative

1-2% FO

I use white sugar and turbinado sugar. White sugar is added until consitency I want, and then I usually add about 1/2 c of the turbinado, just for a little bit extra exfoliation. ;)

Ok I have another question... I have made emulsified butter and with that you heat up the ingredients like the ewax, stearic and hard butters...do I heat all those up when making the scrub...any specific temp? and do I whip those things together like I would when making emul. butter? and then add the presevative, fo and sugar? I'm probably making this harder than what it is LOL I just have a tendency to over think things LOL Another question, I seen in a different post about sub. out the cetyl alcohol and someone said you could omit it if you want, that's the only ingred. I don't have and since I am snowed in today I thought I would mess around and try this but just omit the cetyl alcohol...what effect will I be missing if I do omit this?

Thank you

Sandy~WI

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older thread n hasn't been messed with in a while, but I just had to answer aysha's question about leaving out the cetyl alcohol because I know the answer.:yay:

I didn't have any when i first whipped up the scrub and when I tired it, didn't like the 'greasy' feel it left behind. I know know that the cetyl is a surfactant and will help wash away the "grease" but still leave behind the clean scrubbed and 'moist' feel that I like when I use a scrub.:grin2:

I wondered for a while why my sugar scrub gave me the greasies, but not my maize scrub didn't. Simple answer after a little Google-ing, I used some SLSa in my Maize scrub. So now when I make my next batch of sugar scrub I know what needs to be done!

• 4 weeks later...
I know this is an older thread n hasn't been messed with in a while, but I just had to answer aysha's question about leaving out the cetyl alcohol because I know the answer.:yay:

I didn't have any when i first whipped up the scrub and when I tired it, didn't like the 'greasy' feel it left behind. I know know that the cetyl is a surfactant and will help wash away the "grease" but still leave behind the clean scrubbed and 'moist' feel that I like when I use a scrub.:grin2:

I wondered for a while why my sugar scrub gave me the greasies, but not my maize scrub didn't. Simple answer after a little Google-ing, I used some SLSa in my Maize scrub. So now when I make my next batch of sugar scrub I know what needs to be done!

So that means you can use SLSa instead of cetyl alcohol? I thought I finally had everything to try this, but apparently missed that ingredient :(