How Many Of You Buy Fos On Prebuys??

bugtussle

Just curious about how many of you buy FOs on supplier pre-buys? One particular supplier keeps offering scents that they have never carried and that no one has had a chance to sniff much less test. Would any of you buy a new scent without even hearing of the scent? They are a good supplier but I don't understand why we should have to help them stock their shelves. Carole

I do from just one smaller supplier. But I only get the scents that I know and use. I know what you mean about helping to stock their shelves, but when it is for scents I already use and the price break is great then I'm in. I would not preorder something I hadn't used no matter how good the price.

I do some pre-buys, but only with stuff I have already tested. There is a certain supplier who keeps aquiring new lines, and offering pre-buys. Why would I buy a pound of something I have never smelled? Even if it is a good price, I am not going to buy a pound of something based on its description only.

I have to agree with you guys, sure I might get into a prebuy when it is something I already use, but if its something new, then no I wouldn't risk the money, I'd be more interested in a sample to test it first...but then again, it had better be something that just sounds way to good for me to be interested enough in even trying a sample. I have a feeling I know which FO company you are all talking about here too...my feeling is if you are doing this pre-buy for an entire month (I think that was how long this one was lasting) but you can't generate enough interest to even meet the minimums then why would you think these scents are even going to go over when you stock them? She sure does keep buying up these 'no name' companies too doesn't she!!!!

Yes, you'll know who I am talking about. I must say I think her scents are some of the VERY best on the market. Most of them are a little pricey for me but when she offers samples in some of these new fragrances, I will probably try them. I guess I feel a little guilty because I won't buy an unknown oil on a prebuy. I believe in supporting the good suppliers, but I wish they could understand how hard it is for us little guys to stay afloat. Thanks for reinforcing my opinion. Carole

You talking DS? I don't usually get in on prebuys, but since there's only one way to get an FO that we need, we have to go this way ... I have no desire to try the other FOs though and I'm actually contemplating doing away with the one FO that we need and just discontinuing it. Seemed like all last year just when I started getting interested in some scents in some companies they'd up and discontinue them and I just am not excited enough to up and play the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see anything wrong with pre buys. I have ended up not liking many fo's I got in pre buys, but our customers have loved them. Or I resell them. I have candle/soaping friends local to me that I end up passing them along to sometimes. I try to getting into pre buys with more in depth descriptions, not just an opinion or basic description.

It's not like your stocking their shelves for them. If it weren't for them, where would you get your oils (not all of course)? A lot of the bigger companies that manufacturer the oils are no longer offering in smaller quantities. I keep getting email after email in the last 6 months or so from fo manufacturing companies either upping their minimum $ or min qty.

Not only that, prices on everything is going up due to the rise in cost for oil. So I'm sure it's making it a bit difficult for the smaller suppliers to even meet minimums for them with higher prices.

It's not like they have deep pockets either. They're trying to make a living just as much as we are.