Turkey Fryer...WOWZA!!

OK - I have had this fryer for awhile and I THINK I am finally getting brave enough to look into using it. :rolleyes2 It would be great to use this summer while we are gearing up for Fall Shows!!

One of my questions have already been answered - pour melted wax over the coils before starting so it doesn't smoke or burn the wax.

I read that it defaults to 200 degrees (we don't usually heat it up that high...usually around 185) but do I understand correctly that it can go down to 150 degrees?).

One other question...

We usually work a couple nights a week, and then on Saturday. If we fill this up with 4630 wax, how long does it take to melt down to use? Since we don't get started til around 5:00 on worknights (darn "real" job gets in our way!! lol) would it be better to just use this on Saturdays when we are there all day?

I can do this...I can do this...:tiptoe:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - I have had this fryer for awhile and I THINK I am finally getting brave enough to look into using it. :rolleyes2 It would be great to use this summer while we are gearing up for Fall Shows!!

One of my questions have already been answered - pour melted wax over the coils before starting so it doesn't smoke or burn the wax.

I read that it defaults to 200 degrees (we don't usually heat it up that high...usually around 185) but do I understand correctly that it can go down to 150 degrees?).

One other question...

We usually work a couple nights a week, and then on Saturday. If we fill this up with 4630 wax, how long does it take to melt down to use? Since we don't get started til around 5:00 on worknights (darn "real" job gets in our way!! lol) would it be better to just use this on Saturdays when we are there all day?

I can do this...I can do this...:tiptoe:

Yup, down to 150. I usually set it to 150 when I first turn it on then turn it up some after the pressure is released and melted wax comes through. I've found that I need to keep it at 200 until it gets hot enough to melt the outside and clear the spout, but that's pillar wax.

It does take at least a couple hours just to heat up. You may not have time on worknights. Though you can just revert to "dipping" if you want to use only the melter. I do that when I'm in a hurry. The middle melts much faster so I grab my handy pyrex measuring cup (that I used with the prestos) and scoop out from the middle ;)

POKE a relief hole in the wax BEFORE turning on and KEEP the LID on until you can see the melted wax pool in the middle. It's easiest if you poke the hole when you're done and the wax has solidified, but not hard yet. Ever seen the geysers at Yellowstone? :shocked2:

Jane, the turkey fryer will heat your wax MUCH quicker than a presto. I am thinking that it only takes my Masterbuilt 15 minutes to 1/2 hour max to heat up. That is turning it on at the default 200* setting. Mine at 200* will keep the wax temp around 185*-190* so rarely do I adjust the temp setting. Actually, at the end of the day if I know I will be working the next morning I turn the temp setting down to 150* rather than turning it off and it heats quicker. Doing this I have found will temper your wax also. HTH

I use a parsoy blend container wax . . .

Actually, at the end of the day if I know I will be working the next morning I turn the temp setting down to 150* rather than turning it off and it heats quicker. Doing this I have found will temper your wax also. HTH

Good point! I do this too :) Though, not if I'm gone from the house.

Does anyone who uses one of these use 444?

I have one and have quit using it cuz it burned my wax. And I never turned it up above 200. I tried the turning it down to 150 when not using but still somehow after time my wax got burned, It smells awful and discolored. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem or not, maybe I'm doing something wrong.:confused:

I turn mine on and lower temp to the lowest 150*, that's with harden wax that has been melted before. Then turn up to 175* or 200* if pot is full it never takes over 30 min to melt the whole thing. Love it... You must have melted wax covering the coils when you first use or after cleaning. If you don't, the flakes will burn and smoke and that smell will stay in the wax so you'll need to throw that wax away, clean with soap and water, dry and start all over. Don't try to cut out this melted wax step cause it never works.:embarasse