Still learning

I was wondering what makes a candle wrinkle on top. I poured a heart shaped candle and this morning when I got up it had all kinds of wrinkles on top. I did a search and only found the problem with soy wax. I used Yaley glass fill wax with Red Hot Cinnamon and pured at around 160. I did take the heat gun to it and it seems like it helped but I have not had this problem before so I was just wondering if it was something I did wrong or was it just a fluke. I hope I gave you enough info.

Remember I am still stupid at this.

If I poured a candle and that happened to me I would say it had too much vybar in it. If its a wax preblend that may but the problem... too much vybar, but if it has enough vybar in it to wrinkle that much it would also "lock up" the scent and you would not get a good smell out of the candle when you burn it. I would not think pouring temp would help you out at all. I can pour anywhere from 160 to 190 and no changes in how the top looks. Test burn your candle and see how the scent goes threw the house and go from there.

Bruce

It looks like these guys didn't see your question, yes, heat your wax per manufacturers directions...add your dye...mix well...reduce your temp to around 180...add your FO...mix well...reduce your heat again to around 155-160...and then pour. If it's not a vybar problem, then you shouldn't get a wrinkled top.

I use 4786 when I play with containers. Sometimes they come out with a wrinkled top. I haven't tested a lot to find the exact conditions but it seems to be the more shallow containers mostly and I think maybe how fast they cool. If I zap the top real well it doesn't wrinkle when it cools back down. Also, the repour doesn't wrinkle. Not so far as I've seen yet. I haven't noticed a correlation between mixing temps or different FO's though.

It looks like one of those situations where I have to play around with temp and see what works best and with the help of you folks maybe I can get thru this ok. Is vybar something that I need to use all the time or is this something special that you use on special waxes?

Bob