Making Tapers

Hi Everyone,

I don't post very often but now I have a few questions. I am making wedding candles, first ones ever. I have been making candles for a year. I have never made tapers. Any hints and they need to be drip less. They also want a pillar with 2 hearts on front. I ,make pillars but with the hearts is that done after? I will need a mold for the tapers and hearts any ideas? I would love any info you are willing to share.

BR

I think we should be clear on whether these are to be paraffin or beeswax tapers. 2/0 square braid will burn like a torch in a paraffin taper.

Not necessarily, depending on what paraffin you use. I've also used the 2/0 on a soy/paraffin wax blend taper with a good burn, no dripping and no torch flame. Of course, beeswax, IMHO opinion, still makes the best tapers and what I actually prefer! :cool2:

If you have a wick recommendation Top for a paraffin taper, why not list it for brempel!!

I'd suggest a 145 MP paraffin with a hardening additive. Vybar 103 is not what I've used thus far, but that would be the easiest and should work fine, so I'd suggest trying that one at 1 tsp per lb of wax. For wicking I'd suggest 6/0 square braid. That should give a nice flame without dripping and will trim itself so the candle can be burned indefinitely.

Bear in mind no taper is guaranteed dripless in drafty conditions.

I started out with those and didn't like them as well as the Mann Lake molds. The Candlewic ones are a hard rubber, not silicone, difficult to unmold if you don't spray them good with a silicone spray & some mold release in your wax and sometimes even that didn't work!! I also got 1 that the taper was badly misshaped. They are cheaper than Mann Lake's, but in this case you get what you pay for and I personally don't recommend them.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone,

I don't post very often but now I have a few questions. I am making wedding candles, first ones ever. I have been making candles for a year. I have never made tapers. Any hints and they need to be drip less. They also want a pillar with 2 hearts on front. I ,make pillars but with the hearts is that done after? I will need a mold for the tapers and hearts any ideas? I would love any info you are willing to share.

BR

Here is a site I found that has sillicone pillar w/ one heart on it. Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

So when you say a soy/parafin blend would you use the IGI 6028? When I am looking at wicking what size would I use? These will be unscented. I am looking at buying a wicking rack. Would I have a great taper with this?

br

Actually the Mann Lake ones are all rubber also. They are the best IMO though. I've finally ruined my taper molds from them after years of use so I just buy BW tapers now when I want them. It just too much trouble to do them a couple at a time and I don't have room to do a dipping tank of a decent size. Still use the ML ones for pillars though.

• 1 month later...
I'd suggest a 145 MP paraffin with a hardening additive. Vybar 103 is not what I've used thus far, but that would be the easiest and should work fine, so I'd suggest trying that one at 1 tsp per lb of wax.

would IGI 4625 be a high enough MP paraffin? I know the congeal point is 142?

would IGI 4625 be a high enough MP paraffin? I know the congeal point is 142?

I haven't tried it but I think you could make it work. I'd try that one without additives since it already has UA in it. The base wax is probably 138-140 MP.

With lower MP wax you might need a larger wick and you might have a taller flame, but start with 6/0 SB and see how that goes.

HI, I use 4625 when I make my tapers and use a 18ply flat braid wick and they burn great (Alan from Peaks set me up) I like to hand dip them but its a long process so now I have a couple of different sized metal molds I found on ebay,,,:grin2: