Wax, Additive or Crop Circles, I'm confused....HELP!

Okay, here we go. 1218 one full pound. Watermelon scented, three shocking pink dye chips, Vybar at 2 teaspoons.

When I poured into the molds, they were all level and so was the wax. I just went downstairs to check them and they've caved in bad, no relief holes poked, that's what I was going downstairs to do. Something else they've also done and the picture didn't catch it is that as they were setting up, it almost looks as if the wax expanded up. I'm going to have to carve some of it off so that I can get an even top, or remelt.

Everything that went into these votives are not that old at all, I've never had 1218 act this way, anybody have any clues? These were going to go into sample bags that I was going to take to work in the morning, but if I'm having this issue, no one is getting a thing until we can figure out what's going on.

Edited to add: Yeah, I know the pic isn't that good, I didn't have time to make adjustments to the camera and lighting, this startled me enough to move to hopefully get some answers.

post-736-139458383628_thumb.jpg

That's just the first pour right? That shrinkage pattern is what I see with a lot of waxes in votive molds. What I don't understand is how the wax poofed up on you like that. You know you're not supposed to put yeast in it right? Maybe it's some Vybar weirdness and/or too much FO.

Just wondering, does the shocking pink work ok for you? It's pigment rather than dye and I never tried one of those chips.

The pink works great for me, I love the color and I haven't had any burn issues with it considering it's a pigment. Totally awesome under a black light.

Yes, this was a first pour and I've never had a wax shrinkage issue THIS bad before, that's why I felt I needed to post to see if someone could chime in. And no, I didn't add yeast this time, I'm making bread upstairs now instead of downstairs :laugh2:

FO was put in at 3/4 of an ounce, that's why I am making sample bags, I'm using up all my FO's that I don't have a full ounce for whatever reason. I'm beginning to think the Vybar as well, I didn't have this issue when I was using the U.A.

OK then I thought maybe you were experimenting with a new kinda bakery candle or something.

I wouldn't sweat the shrinkage. 1218 shrinks plenty and the Vybar would increase that. You probably don't need that much though. 1218 holds scent well and I'm sure 1 tsp would be plenty. They might even throw better.

I'm a little puzzled by the poofing up thing though. It may be another one of the Signs. Candles tilting off level, wicks disappearing without a trace, wax poofing up. What's next?

I'm thinking that as well now that the both of you have suggested it. I completely forgot about the throw of 1218, wanted a clean looking candle with a good throw and decided what the heck and used it. Which, I'm still wondering why I did that, I've been using U.A. and I'm so addicted to the benefits of it that I'm kind of shocked I even used the Vybar.

I'm going to go ahead and remelt the votives and just make my mini-tarts, which I forgot to mention, did the same wax poofing thing as well. I'll just add these to my 'way too ugly for anyone else but me' stash and order some more Watermelon this morning. It just bumps the sample bags back a week, which would probably be a good thing anyway right now. Would also give me a chance to make another batch with a different FO and use U.A. this time. I'm just hoping there's not a repeat performance of the wax poofing.

Maybe it's a chemical reaction due to the high radiation that might be downstairs from their last visit when they tilted my candles really bad??

Damn them little green men!! :waiting:

I just got back from poking around in the votives to make sure they weren't being used as pod baby nests and no sign of the little snots, so I'm good to go there.:D

But I also just had the snot scared out of me so bad, I threw my cats in a tizzy. I guess a wolf spider decided since my Presto was nice and warm he'd check it out...

Crispied spider to say the least. I screamed, the cats took off...fuzzed up and looking at me like I lost my mind! :laugh2:

And man, if it's radiation down there screwing things up...I'm gonna start glowing soon!! I hope this doesn't mean I have to put hazardous materials placards on my doors. I can see that now, have visitors stop by and have to wear moonsuits before they step in the door. :eek:

Yep, you used double the amount of vybar that you should have. 1 tsp pp is plenty and using more than that will cause major weirdness on top of the wax as it shrinks.

Sorry to be a party pooper. I just don't believe in pod babies and little green men. (But I really did see Elvis on the UFO...Really.)

got my do do's wrong...must be the FO's I am breathing today....should be do do do do.....etc....or whatever.....just swim fast. LOL
SHARK!!!

*snorts iced tea up the nose again* okay, that does it! No more drinking any liquids while I'm reading the boards :laugh2: :laugh2:

Okay, so I'm going back downstairs to add some more wax to the poofed up votives. I'm thinking 8 oz should be enough, I don't want to lose the scent of the Watermelon by drowning it in wax and Vybar...

That and I'm on a mission, I'm getting evidence of little green men tonight if it's the last thing I do!! Gotta be sneaky though :tiptoe:

Yep...when I want the poofs to go away, I just get out my trusty heat gun and "terminate" them.....and the little green men on the pink elephant actually brought Elvis upstairs one night. As far as I know he is still up there....probably living with the Fruahugens that scare my grandson.......The peanut butter and banannas keep disapearing...hmmmmmmmmm Donita

(must be the wine)

Rats, now I'm going to have to play with vybar to see if I can make a shark too. LMAO Since you used twice as much vybar you may need to go to 16 oz of wax. Maybe you could add some honeydew or fruit slices and get a fruit cup. Not sure what little green men like to eat.

More importantly are the kitties OK now and did you feed them the fried spider? :laugh2: Mine would probably still be hiding under the bed.

Yeah, kids are fine. They were quite amused after the fact when they realized that mom screamed bloody murder over a crispy spider. Wouldn't be so bad, but I am very much afraid of those things, after being bit twice by a brown recluse :sad2: I think it's the one that's been hanging around the work area since I started working down there, haven't seen him since I found the crispy. If that's the case then :bliss: oh happy day!! That little eight legged THING and me had a few go-rounds, serves him right to step inside MY thing! Kids ended up playing with him so much, he had parts everywhere :laugh2:

I've put the watermelon off to the side since I had to move onto another scent so I wouldn't lose time (hard to eat butter & garlic pasta when you smell eggnog :P ). I realized when I was making the sampler's that I didn't have enough Christmas scents, but I jotted down in my notebook that I need to add 16 instead of 8oz.

I feel like such a goober