short wick

I'm test burning a new combo and i realized i cut the wick to short...I first had it to long, huge flame and smoke, so i blew it out let if cool and trimmed the wick...sadly it's too short the flame is small and after 2 hours i'm looking at a melt pool that's barely half the jar.

What do you do when you trim it to short?

4630 wax

HTP83 wick

8oz apothecary jar

Rather than pouring off, my solution is to..."spoon" some of the really soft wax out of the melt pool area--it doesnt make your container look so fugly.I have this happen to me fairly frequently. I even use the rounded end of a nail file.Or once you blow it out, cool and relight it, it might just be the perfect length. Not sure how that works but a candle flame burns higher when there is no melt pool at the beginning of a burn.

I would do what I do when I choose the wrong wick for my first test and need to either wick up or wick down. I would melt the thing and start over. If you're wanting true test results, spooning off wax, sticking in extra wicks, just generally fooling around, you won't really be doing an accurate test, imo. You really do need to start from the beginning.

I suppose it doesn't much matter if you're just making it for yourself.