Business owners -what would you do?

Hi everyone,

Ok, I must be a legitimate business now because here's my first customer problem. I have a website and a customer ordered off of it. I sent the package USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation. He just called saying he did not get the package, yet I have the delivery confirmation receipt that it WAS delivered on 10-24. I called him, left a message to try and clear up the situation.

Am I being scammed? Did he really get the package and this is how he gets free candles? Of course, I want my business' good name to remain, so should I just refund his money and end it? If anyone has any thoughts or any experience with this problem, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

-Deb

Customer may not have received the package. USPS just drops my packages on my front porch; sometimes they knock & sometimes they don't. They've even delivered my packages to my neighbors.

I'd probably satisfy the customer, eat the loss but send "signature required" on future orders.

It is hard to say whether he is just trying to get some free candles or if he really didn't receive it. Because the delivery confirmation only tells you it was delivered, it doesn't even say which house it was delivered to (in case they dropped it on the wrong porch and whoever got it wasn't honest enough to return it). It's the same thing with UPS ground and fedex ground i.e. they don't take signatures either. If you send with signature confirmation, the customer might not like it either because they may not be home to sign for it and it will cause them further inconvenience and delay to pick it up from the post office the next day. Neither is it a good idea to contact them after they have provided the delivery address to ask if you could send it to their office instead. I have not tried the insurance because I don't know how big of a hassle it is to make a claim from them, and whether they will process the claim if it's lost after delivery.