Finally took pics- 464 single wicked 16 oz Apoth burn

OK, you asked for it!

I retested with a heavy FO and TONS of liquid dye (see this thread- http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64676&highlight=464+apothecary). Finally got about to the bottom. The first couple burns didn't go to the edge (normal), but about 4 burns in or so it was burning to the edges. This was an average of a 5 hour burn per session, so a couple were shorter and a few were longer... using 464, famous for never cleaning the sides and leaving a hangup coat on the glass (normal for any size container and even happens on overwicked glass). Notice the light sooting just beginning around the top of the glass. This container hasn't been cleaned and I'm actually happy with the amount of soot for this particular container... also notice the frosting at the bottom of the container... that's better than I thought it would be too. This was a heavily dyed candle that lived in a chilly place...

2230321597_0fcbeace1a.jpg

Notice the mushrooming... this was, again, heavily dyed, a heavy FO and a 5-6 hour burn...

2230324091_ab67dececd.jpg

And a slightly different, closer pic of the hangup and mushroom... (which was more of a frayed wick look vs heavy mushrooms).

2230326879_72a94bbcfd.jpg

Tada!

-Kristi

Kristi:

What is the diameter of the jar?

I just measured- 4 inches exactly... (I just edited this- I had written 5 inches not remembering that I started at 1 inch on the tape measure! Blonde moment, I'm sure).

Have alot of HTP wicks...any thoughts on how they will perform in this wax?

I can't remember... I HAVE used them briefly when I switched to this wax, but I started with CDs and never looked back. I couldn't take the extreme curl of the HTPs... I do use htp 52s and 41s in votive sized cups still though and they work fine. I just prefer the burn of CDs... you'll have to play around with them and see what you think!

-Kristi

I just measured- 5 inches exactly...

I can't remember... I HAVE used them briefly when I switched to this wax, but I started with CDs and never looked back. I couldn't take the extreme curl of the HTPs... I do use htp 52s and 41s in votive sized cups still though and they work fine. I just prefer the burn of CDs... you'll have to play around with them and see what you think!

-Kristi

Have a CD Sampler and will try. You have given me hope.

Sure appreciate your time and willingness to share.

L

I use 464 and NEVER get hangup on the jar walls. I use cd wicks.

How odd... even when I have an overwicked container I end up with light, super thin wax residue on the jar. Not necessarily hangup, more of a residue that light shines through. Not ever on tins, just on glass (or maybe I can only see in with glass?).

-Kristi

I never could get a single wick to work in a 4" apothecary with 464 so I've been double wicking all this time.

Hmmmm, interesting development....

Well, if a person doesn't really trim the wick to 1/4 in EVERY burn, you WILL get sooting. So perfect use has great results, but typical use may not. Of course, even double wicked, that jar will soot unless the wicks are trimmed.

-Kristi

This was a heavily dyed candle that lived in a chilly place...

The "chilly place" would certainly contribute to some residue - that isn't "hangup." I think you've got it dialed in! I wonder if a CDN would burn any cleaner... :confused: I have seen a little soot every now and then with them, but not often...

Good job and thanks for sharing your results with us! :yay:

Your burn looks pretty good - especially for coloring your candle. :cool2:

I am currently single wick testing the 415 with no color or FO and 3 different. wicks. Will post pics later. So far all is going well and my container (3 7/8) with the HTP 1312 is doing the best and might even burn clean. yeah!! I'm still not sure that if I added an FO it will burn clean all the way down.

How odd... even when I have an overwicked container I end up with light, super thin wax residue on the jar. Not necessarily hangup, more of a residue that light shines through. Not ever on tins, just on glass (or maybe I can only see in with glass?).

-Kristi

I think soy does tend to leave a residue that isn't really hangup. To me, it is just the nature of the beast.

I never could get a single wick to work in a 4" apothecary with 464 so I've been double wicking all this time.

Hmmmm, interesting development....

I haven't been able to either. But, then again, I haven't tried (until recently) in years. Waxes have changed and so have wicks. I'm testing again to see if I can get it to burn clean. Still not convinced that when I add FO, it will be a good burn. But, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Meridith, I'm curious why you are testing without FO? It seems to me that it's an extra unnecessary step-there has to be a good reason for your doing so but for the life of me I can't figure it out? :)

Thanks

Your burn looks pretty good - especially for coloring your candle. :cool2:

I am currently single wick testing the 415 with no color or FO and 3 different. wicks. Will post pics later. So far all is going well and my container (3 7/8) with the HTP 1312 is doing the best and might even burn clean. yeah!! I'm still not sure that if I added an FO it will burn clean all the way down.

I'm doing that just to see what the difference will be in burns with and without FO.

edited to add: I do make unscented candles for a few customers as well. It will help me with those ones. Also, I never color my candles.

sorry trying to post quick since I'm at work.

Thanks ya'll... I've now tested this combo with This Old House, dyed very light brown (1 drop pp, FO 1 oz pp) and then decided to go for it with the mother of all tests, the Spiced Mulberry with a CRAZY amount of dye.

The wick MUST be trimmed down to 1/4 inch. Almost nothing. Just a little nub of a wick left and that's all. WITH that trim, there is little to no sooting. If you left more wick than that it would definitely soot.

I'm happy enough that I will continue to test combos to possibly carry in my line. I currently use a 20 oz Tureen double wicked with 2 CD 12's for most scents and would love to replace it with a more mainstream container that is single wicked.

-Kristi