wicking champagne/martini glasses

You're a braver person than I am, I can tell you that.

I've been asked in the past to do candles in glasses like that and I've flatly refused. Both would be very top heavy and prone to tip over/spill at the slightest bump of the surface they're on when burning. The glass they're made from is usually delicate and not tempered for use with the heat ranges that a burning candle produces.

The liability issues just give me the screaming heebie-jeebies ...

You're a braver person than I am, I can tell you that.

I've been asked in the past to do candles in glasses like that and I've flatly refused. Both would be very top heavy and prone to tip over/spill at the slightest bump of the surface they're on when burning. The glass they're made from is usually delicate and not tempered for use with the heat ranges that a burning candle produces.

The liability issues just give me the screaming heebie-jeebies ...

I fully agree! That's a lawsuite waiting to happen. Martini glasses are for drinks, not candles!

Fire

I do drink candles and haven't had an accident yet. I would only single wick that though because you dont want to over heat the glass with double wicks. Burning will leave about an inch on the sides, but I think it preserves the beauty of the candle. Also, if the base narrows dramatically use a marble under the wick or a wick crimp to raise it so it does not overheat.

I have made several in Martini glasses for special orders and they love them. NEVER had a problem with any of them. Its just common sense to use glass thick enough you are not going to have a problem. I cant imagine why some people would say a lawsuit waiting to happen, they must be the ones that dont have the experience in testing containers.

...I cant imagine why some people would say a lawsuit waiting to happen, they must be the ones that dont have the experience in testing containers.

That was uncalled for. You're entitled to your opinion based on your own experience but that doesn't make you right and the rest wrong or "inexperienced"

Depending on the manufacturer of the glass, some champagne flutes and martini glasses aren't even meant to be cleaned in a dishwasher, much less withstand the heat of a candle flame. Whether or not the glass is tempered and annealed properly for the temperatures involved is the question, not how "thick" it is. The idea of the candle being "top heavy" and more subject to spills, etc certainly depends on the shape of the glasses but the typical champagne flute is on a tall stem, same as a martini glass, which definitely makes them more prone to being knocked over than a 4" diameter apothecary jar.

If you wish to take those chances that's certainly your call.

I can relate to both sides of this debate.

I for one have made many of these candles and have never had a problem with the glasses. I have also made sure that the glasses I buy are heavy duty (ie: lead crystal) If you want to make your customers happy then you must also make sure that you are not only providing them with the knowledge of a safe tested candle but also providing good quality glass. Otherwise you are an accident waiting to happen!

Now, even though I make them .... it doesn't mean that I like them. I have always felt that they were top heavy and easily tipped. For that reason, I switched to using glasses that have a short stem. Yes ... they are out there ... all you have to do is look around. None of my customers had a problem with the switch in stemware.

Just my opinion ;)

btw: there is no need to call someone inexperienced just because they have an opinion that differs from yours. To me that is just ignorance on your part.:2cents:

btw: there is no need to call someone inexperienced just because they have an opinion that differs from yours. To me that is just ignorance on your part.:2cents:

Im sorry you feel that way but several people on here express their opinion without ever trying or testing, a good example is the massage candle. Its common sense people. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean that it is not good to make

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean that it is not good to make

I don't think it's a question of "don't like it"; it is more a question of not being willing to take on the safety issues and liability. The tippy thing with martini glasses (particularly after sipping a few of them...) is a serious design flaw and does expose the chandler to liability. As previously pointed out, glass formulations are designed and employed for specific end uses. Lead crystal, for example, can be pressed into heavy glasses, then faceted or it can be blown so thin it will ring in a draft! Generally, glass manufactured for exposure to higher temps has been tempered and has slightly different ingredients than does glass for champagne flutes or Christmas ornaments. People assume that the heavier the glass, the more resilient it is to heat, but that is not always true. It depends upon the composition, the tempering and how the heat is applied to the end product.

Whether or not something is "good" to make is awfully general. I agree that candles in these containers would look lovely and I might even make some for myself, but I wouldn't sell them to anyone else because I do not want the liability exposure. JMO

Personally, I was afraid of the lawsuit thing. I scares me! People will find any reason to sue you. I just don't want to open myself up to that. Maybe I'll have to pass on the martint/champagne galss and tell her a heart dish is just as pretty!! I appreciate all of the help!

Suzie

Im sorry you feel that way but several people on here express their opinion without ever trying or testing, a good example is the massage candle. Its common sense people. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean that it is not good to make

Good thing I wasn't talking about those people on here that express their opinion without ever trying or testing!! :angry2:

I was simply giving my opinion (both sides good & bad) on the dangers of these candles and what I personally have done that worked very well for me!

After all, you cannot classify this individual as a person who has never tried or tested .... she was simply asking for a little advice on a general range of where to start with wicks. She did not ask for the exact wick that everyone else uses nor did she ask for explicit directions on how to make these candles exactly the way you do. (or whomever makes them)

In my opinion, if you weren't going to offer her a suggested wick, then you should have kept your mouths shut. She did not post asking anyone for their opinion on the safety of this type of candle!

After I read the 1st few responses, I lost track of what the post was really about and offered some advice as to making them and what I do for safety. I am no better than anyone else and I should have at least offered a wick to try. For that I am sorry that I didn't answer her question.

WaxandWhimsy : I have always used zinc wicks in mine. For the larger mouthed glasses, I started with a 51z. hth ;)

Its just common sense to use glass thick enough you are not going to have a problem.

What you may consider common sense is NOT necessarily COMMON. Very often newbie or even experienced people trying something totally new have NO idea what to look out for until they run into the problem themselves or someone experienced in that area points out things that may be problems.

jenniejr: there was nothing wrong with your post. We are here to help each other and offering advice on safety shouldn't be considered wrong. Granted, answering her question is helpful too. When other people, especially new people read through old posts, I feel it's good to give them some safety points as well as spreading new ideas. If I were thinking about trying this, I'd be glad to know what to look out for to be safe. Ok, I don't think that came out right but maybe you know what I mean :undecided

Common sense tells me that if I put my hand on the tip of my woodburner wand it will burn. I don't have to experience it to know it will hurt like a sumbish.

Considering the people who posted about the dangers, I'd rather take their word, they've seen enough in their chandling lives to have common sense to know what glass is top heavy and know about types of glass.

I have common sense to know not to resell testing glass containers, but some people still do anyways. But that's because of knowledge gained through others, not through experiencing it myself.

Anyways, if you are determined to do them anyways (and that's your preference of course :) ), I wouldn't double wick them at all. I have no experience with the 223, but just from the width of the top you gave and the fact that it's probably going to be a bit shallower at the bottom, I think the marble idea is good as well to keep the wick up off the teeny parts.

This whole discussion could go a lot easier too, if we had pics of the glasses, since there are thousands of types of champagne glasses, let alone martini glasses. I've seen some that start at 4" across, narrow down to 1" with no stem, and some that start at 4", narrow to 2" and have a 5" stem.

jenniejr: there was nothing wrong with your post. We are here to help each other and offering advice on safety shouldn't be considered wrong. Granted, answering her question is helpful too. When other people, especially new people read through old posts, I feel it's good to give them some safety points as well as spreading new ideas. If I were thinking about trying this, I'd be glad to know what to look out for to be safe. Ok, I don't think that came out right but maybe you know what I mean :undecided

Satin: I agree ... It's not so much what was posted as it is how it came across. There's a big difference in sharing opinions about safety and just jumping in and saying

That's a lawsuite waiting to happen. Martini glasses are for drinks, not candles!

I just thought that some peeps got a little too "OMG" right off the bat.

Sorry if I came across the wrong way. :/