How many people

sell candles with the wick not glue to the bottom of the container?here while back I had a thread about this lady here in my town, that sells a container candle,just like mine,same price.She buys them wholesale from someone for five dollars a candle,ask me if I would wholesale mine for the same.I told her it almost cost me that much to make one.I got my hands on one,pull the label off the bottom,and there's no wick tabs on the bottom.I would think that would be dangerous.This lady that wholesales them sells alot of candles.Sorry this was so long,I am just confused:confused: .

Anna

You would think since that is one the least expensive parts of the candle that one wouldn't skimp on attaching the wick. My concern would be that it will start floating around and end up next to the glass and get the glass too hot.

You would think since that is one the least expensive parts of the candle that one wouldn't skimp on attaching the wick. My concern would be that it will start floating around and end up next to the glass and get the glass too hot.

I would think so to.I have only burn it for three hrs,the wicks was almost drowning.

You'll find that there's a lot of people out there that don't care about quality in the least. All they care about is making a quick buck. It seems to me that if this person can't take a few seconds to secure the wick, that's the situation. You could use this to your advantage. At your booths place an umlabeled candle on it's side with signage explaining the importance of the wick being secured. An educated consumer will be able to spot the better product and therefore buy from you.:D

You'll find that there's a lot of people out there that don't care about quality in the least. All they care about is making a quick buck. It seems to me that if this person can't take a few seconds to secure the wick, that's the situation.
You could use this to your advantage. At your booths place an umlabeled candle on it's side with signage explaining the importance of the wick being secured. An educated consumer will be able to spot the better product and therefore buy from you.:D

Tallbabydoll,that's a good idea.Haven't thought of that.

I would just like to add that I bet that about 99.9% of reputable candle makers put secure wicks in their candles. Why wouldn't they? It would be bad business not to. I would guess that they would also not get any repeat customers, by using that method. And though it might be a gimick to sell more candles, honestly, as someone who bought candles at every event and festival I went to, I never came across a home made candle that was not properly wicked. Even a jar or container that you can see the wick tab in the bottom, to the untrained eye, can appear to be adhered to the jar. When in fact, it could have just been placed there. If the jar is labeled properly, it would also most likely have a warning label on the bottom that you would have to peel off to check out the wick in the bottom of the candle.

It is a shame that we have people that will stoop to such levels as to sell poorly made candles. But honestly, if someone is trying to build a business and get repeat customers, they are going to do it the right way and go the extra mile to make a good candle.

I use wick stickers and they do the job.I will say one bunch did not work and for short time used a glue gun.Now I have some(wick stickers) that work so good I cannot even get them off the bottom.What I did was use a few old candles for testing wickless.Of course the wick then moves to the side.So I thought I will just take the wick out(while warm).WRONG.I cannot get it to budge.It was in there so good I was afraid I would break the jar.So wicks stay testing the wickless.

I do take the warning label off the bottom of the wick candle when testing these leftover candles for wickless.I had some at a sale say "Well why can't I just do my wick candles on a candle burner".I explain there is a warning label at the bottom and that would not be good.Now for what they do when they go home I don't know.I did mention to a relative TAKE OFF THE WARNING LABEL.I know they do what they want.I can even bet some have put the wick candles on a warmer.

See with the wickless all people see is a candle without a wick and they are ready to use a wick candle not thinking.

I'm confused...are we talking about actually sticking the wick to the jar?

Or are we just talking about it have a wick tab?

Don't you find that most jar candles from the store aren't secured to the bottom of the jar?

Reminds me...I need to go and buy some wick stickers...I keep buying and forget where the heck I put them. Maybe I should just use silicone.

I can't imagine NOT using wick stick ems to hold the wicks in place. If not, once you get close to the bottom and wax is all liquid, that wick's gonna float and possibly fall over. I haven't purchased a Yankee or any other big brand candle in quite a while so I don't know what they do, but I imagine they don't want their wicks floating to the side and breaking the jar. They'd have a lot of lawsuits on their hands that way.......

DanaE

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought she was meaning there was no wick tab in there at all, not that the tab wasn't attached to the bottom....

That's exactly what I said,there is no wick tab.I pull the warning label off to see how far the wicks were apart,and no wick tab to be seen.I can't believe people do this!When I test I just stick the wick in,and when the wax gets low the wicks will fall over.That's the first time I every seen this.

Anna

I could never dream of selling a candle without the wick attached to the bottom of the container! That is a fire waiting to happen! I use wick stickums because hot glue melts when the wax liquifies. The stickums are the bomb-diggity! I get mine from BCN. They are too cheap to not get them when you consider the risk. I would have a heart to heart with her and let her know that you are protecting her from a lawsuit that is waiting to happen!:confused: